Severely attacked Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starbuck, Nov 29, 2012.

1. starbuck

starbuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I'm not sure what got to her, but she is BAD. Huge gaping wounds on both sides. Open and exposed muscle. I brought her inside last night and she's been laying in the same spot with extremely labored breathing since then. Not moving, certainly not eating or drinking. And she smells bad.

Ugh, what should I do? Hope she gets better and keep her inside? Put her out of her misery? Leave her outside for something else to do my dirty work? UGH.

Thank you!

2. Shelshanam

Shelshanam Out Of The Brooder

Put her out of her misery!

I had one yesterday I ran for the ax first thing until I saw she had no punctures! She was pretty lifeless but was back to acting pretty normal within a few hours of heatlamp/and some perk me ups... All night and no improvement plus the open wounds you need to do that chicken a favor and end the suffering.

Sorry it happened to your chicken but good luck.

3. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    i dont know if u can stop the bleeding.... my kids let the dog out and went inside the other day and he got my barred and ripped about 4 inches out of the back of her neck i got the bleeding to stop and dressed it and in about 2 weeks it had scabbed over and now she has grown feathers over it and u can hardly tell... she is even laying again!!!

4. starbuck

Jul 17, 2011
    How long was she lethargic for? I guess that's what I'm wondering- and what the PP addressed. The bleeding was stopped by the time I got to her, but she's just laying there in the crate. If she's going to make it, how long would she be lethargic for? Like if she is still like this tonight or tomorrow she's just waiting to die?

5. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    mine was pretty lazy for about 3 day didnt eat or drink much but she came out of it..... can she move around and all that.. if se will eat and drink u should be fine

6. starbuck

Jul 17, 2011
    Nope, not moving or eating or drinking. Ugh.

7. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    how long has she been this way?

8. starbuck

Jul 17, 2011
    Since last night around 5 pm

9. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    if she dosent eat or drink by tomarrow morrning it doesnt look good

10. starbuck

Jul 17, 2011
    Okay. Thank you so much. I'll give her through the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by