Severely damaged Crop

Keatonsmommy

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 3, 2014
One of my young chickens managed to escape the chicken yard and my dog got a hold of her. He tore her neck and exposed her crop. I brought her inside and tried to keep the crop covered and cleaned, but she kept picking at it and managed to rip it open. I tried so hard to keep her from bothering it, but last night she picked it completely off!! I have done plenty of research and am positive I know the answer, but is there any way to save her? If not, what is the best/quickest way to put her down? I have had chickens for 5 years now and have never had to put one down on my own. I feel bad for her since she is so young still. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Is the crop completely gone, or is it open to the inside? Can you take her to a vet right away? If the crop is exposed or even open, it could be repaired by sowing it up, but if it is missing, she won't live. The quickest and best way to humanely put a chicken down is to quickly slice the neck with a heavy butcher knife or an ax. Please let us know what happens.

I was actually going to put her down today if her neck was still open. Her for and water was leaking out of her neck, but it has healed closed. Her poop is no longer watery and it looks normal now, which tells me she's able to eat and drink successfully. She's very happy and moving just fine. I am keeping her in the house for awhile longer to make sure she continues to improve. If she shows any sign of pain or digestion problems, I will be putting her down. I appreciate everyone's help and advice. The vet I called agreed that as long as she's improving, then she may be fine.

Back
Top Bottom