Severely Depressed Houdan Rooster- Help!

surfrchik44

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2019
Fayetteville, NC
Hi!

I have a 7mo old mottled Houdan roo (has not started mating or crowing yet). I raised him and a Polish hen in the house, because my only mature hen (silkie) took the other chicks fine, but rejected these two. They have been VERY close from the time they were a few days old. When they were big enough, they were moved to the pen and coop with my silkies. There were no fights, but those two always preferred to be by themselves and wandered away from the group frequently.

My neighbors dog got into out yard on Thu and killed the Polish hen and since then my Roo has been super depressed. I went outside on Sat morning and he was just laying on his side and could not stand or move on his own. Refused food and drink, even his favorite treats. I force fed him and gave him water with a dropper for a few hours and his strength came back and he started walking around again, but still very mopey. His first few stools after eating again where white liquid. According to google, its from not eating enough. He is eating and drinking on his own now, but still just lays around all day. He even began sleeping on the floor in the coop instead of his usual roosting spot. The hens have even started stealing his food and bullying him a bit. Not attacking him or anything, but pecking and running him off. I feel so bad. This is my baby and he is super sweet. I just don't know what to do. I have checked him for mites and lice, nothing. Bathed him (which he has always loved), to no avail. Nothing is perking him up. What can I do???

Your roo probably isn't depressed in the sense you may think, but he's likely suffering from shock from the attack and seeing the hen being brutally slaughtered by the dog. He may also have sustained injuries from the attack you aren't yet aware of.

First thing is to counter the shock by giving him electrolytes and vitamins. You also need to inspect his body carefully for any injuries. Look under his feathers for tooth puncture marks. Inspect his legs and feet for green bruises.

I also suggest you look over the flock to find another buddy for him. Let that chicken join him to see how they get along. They may bond and you can introduce the pair back into the flock gradually.

Back
Top Bottom