1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Severely detached air cell with live chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FluffyHen1, Sep 27, 2016.

1. FluffyHen1

FluffyHen1 New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    I set shipped Silkie eggs, all with detached air cells, and set them upright in a carton. Most are not viable on day 11, but one egg with a severely detached air cell has a live chick. The air cell is so displaced that it is on the side of the upright egg, not at all at either end. If this chick survives, I will no doubt have to perform some sort of epic intervention to help the chick out. I haven't any idea what or how to do such a major assist. I'd like to have a plan, ahead of time, if this chick continues to thrive.
    Can anyone instruct me as to what I should do for assisted hatching on day 21-22? Thank you VERY much!

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    If you go back to "incubating and hatching" tab, look to the right side of the page and there will be a link to a cheat sheet on assisted hatches...hope that helps! Good Luck!

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by