In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
Florida
Okay- I don’t know what to do
This is a very bad bad day 😭
So the baby boy was pecked severely
His neck is wide open and I don’t know how he is alive
Thought it was the rooster
Then we’ve been searching over an our because our momma hen went missing in the dark and thought she went in the woods
But later found her tucked behind the door
Between the times I saw the roosters mate pecking at the babies and thought it must’ve been her and not the rooster
Now I feel horrible for what we’ve done by ending life to our bully rooster
She must’ve been jealous that they were not hers but then after finding momma hen and putting her back in I noticed her to start pecking the babies hard
So I immediately scooped them up and screamed for My fiancé and he let me in the door and I said what do I do
So were both freaking out
I ended up putting them in with the injured one but I know they could possibly peck him to death because he’s hurt and weak
But I don’t have any where else to put them
Now I have all three babies in my house and I am scared to put them back in the coop
I hope they behave when they wake in the morning and leave my injured boy alone
They are all snuggled together and resting
But what am I going to do come morning
I cannot keep all three together in case they prey on the injured
If he makes it though the night
Do I look for rehoming
I don’t think I can put the babies back in with those females
What do I do 🙏🏻

I'm not entirely sure what's going on. It's obvious you're still upset. For now, having the babies inside will work for the night.

How old are they?

and can you get pictures of the injured babies cuts so we can see how bad it is?

I've heard of people using superglue to 'stitch' injuries back up on birds before. Not sure if it would work in this case though.

Also do you have any way of putting the babies in to separate containers? It sounds like no, but even a laundry basket might do for the injured one during the day, just until you can figure out something better.

It sounds like you had a broody hen taking care of them, but that she has abandoned them. Or possibly, something happened that stressed her out. Was she stuck behind a door, or just somewhere you didn't see her? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, could a predator scared her away from the flock, because extreme stress can make chickens do crazy things.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on. It's obvious you're still upset. For now, having the babies inside will work for the night.

How old are they?

and can you get pictures of the injured babies cuts so we can see how bad it is?

I've heard of people using superglue to 'stitch' injuries back up on birds before. Not sure if it would work in this case though.

Also do you have any way of putting the babies in to separate containers? It sounds like no, but even a laundry basket might do for the injured one during the day, just until you can figure out something better.

It sounds like you had a broody hen taking care of them, but that she has abandoned them. Or possibly, something happened that stressed her out. Was she stuck behind a door, or just somewhere you didn't see her? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, could a predator scared her away from the flock, because extreme stress can make chickens do crazy things.

How old are they?

Okay- I don’t know what to do
This is a very bad bad day 😭
So the baby boy was pecked severely
His neck is wide open and I don’t know how he is alive
Thought it was the rooster
Then we’ve been searching over an our because our momma hen went missing in the dark and thought she went in the woods
But later found her tucked behind the door
Between the times I saw the roosters mate pecking at the babies and thought it must’ve been her and not the rooster
Now I feel horrible for what we’ve done by ending life to our bully rooster
She must’ve been jealous that they were not hers but then after finding momma hen and putting her back in I noticed her to start pecking the babies hard

So were both freaking out
I ended up putting them in with the injured one but I know they could possibly peck him to death because he’s hurt and weak
But I don’t have any where else to put them
Now I have all three babies in my house and I am scared to put them back in the coop
I hope they behave when they wake in the morning and leave my injured boy alone
They are all snuggled together and resting
But what am I going to do come morning
I cannot keep all three together in case they prey on the injured
If he makes it though the night
Do I look for rehoming
I don’t think I can put the babies back in with those females
What do I do 🙏🏻

How old are they?

Attachments

• 9219713A-D561-4343-ADFA-D7AC82B157E8.jpeg
    9219713A-D561-4343-ADFA-D7AC82B157E8.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 6
They hatched in May.
I am really upset because all the events that happened today with my babies and now I don’t have my rooster.
So we thought the rooster did this to the baby boy. Though I should have known better because he always seemed to protect them.
I don’t know who did this 🤷‍♀️
When my fiancé yelled up to the house at dark time stating one of my hens was missing
We searched everywhere but she was safe and bundled behind the garage door hiding
Once we put her back in the coop
She began pecking at the other babies.
I have only now- two females
Hen 1. Stole the eggs and became broody and hatched the three babies and was doing good up until today
Hen 2. Was the roosters mate (my egg layer)
My flock turned one in March
The rooster never touched hen 1 until recently because she had another mate which died at least 6 months ago
Anyways
I blamed the rooster and now I think it was one or both the females hurting my boy.
I have all three in a dog crate I picked up today at tractor supply
But it’s a bad idea because my hurt boy keeps sticking his hurt neck through and getting stuck screaming out for help
They’re wings aren’t clipped so they fly.
I have all three babies together till morning until I can figure something out
I am beyond myself today and I don’t know what to do
Do I build a barrier in the coop and separate the females from the babies or find new homes?
Tonight they sleep inside

I'm not great at this kind of thing, but I'm pretty sure you'll need iodine to keep it from infection.

I'm not even sure who around here is good with explaining how to help injuries. So long as it doesn't get infected, he looks like he's going to be ok. Skin will grow back, it just takes time.

Sounds like they are almost 8 weeks which in normal integration age, but also around the same age that the broody would normally stop caring for them, and she will peck at them to scare them away once she's done mothering them.

It's really sad about your rooster. Misunderstandings like that happen though. (in my case it was the rooster and I thought it was someone else.)

For the temporary set up with the dog crate door, you might be able to ziptie some cardboard to the bottom or something, just to keep him from sticking his head through.

They hatched in May.
I am really upset because all the events that happened today with my babies and now I don’t have my rooster.
So we thought the rooster did this to the baby boy. Though I should have known better because he always seemed to protect them.
I don’t know who did this 🤷‍♀️
When my fiancé yelled up to the house at dark time stating one of my hens was missing
We searched everywhere but she was safe and bundled behind the garage door hiding
Once we put her back in the coop
She began pecking at the other babies.
I have only now- two females
Hen 1. Stole the eggs and became broody and hatched the three babies and was doing good up until today
Hen 2. Was the roosters mate (my egg layer)
My flock turned one in March
The rooster never touched hen 1 until recently because she had another mate which died at least 6 months ago
Anyways
I blamed the rooster and now I think it was one or both the females hurting my boy.
I have all three in a dog crate I picked up today at tractor supply
But it’s a bad idea because my hurt boy keeps sticking his hurt neck through and getting stuck screaming out for help
They’re wings aren’t clipped so they fly.
I have all three babies together till morning until I can figure something out
I am beyond myself today and I don’t know what to do
Do I build a barrier in the coop and separate the females from the babies or find new homes?
Tonight they sleep inside
We always have let our flock out to free roam the yard and they always returned
But maybe since they didn’t have the rooster - she got caught in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom