SEVERELY INJURED CHICK. graphic pics..... NEED ADVICE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chikenlover123, Jul 26, 2011.

1. chikenlover123

chikenlover123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2009
    Hey everyone, this chick hatched 2 weeks and 2 days ago. one of the older chickens got a hold of it, for some reason, and pecked it. i found it bleeding and unable to move very well. the bone of the wing is poking out very violently. i washed the wound on the back with water and put antibiotic creme on it.

for the most part, it seems to be in steady condition & ate a little bit earlier. however, it keeps chirping & acting like its hurting. i don't know if i should try to keep it, or to whether to put it out of its misery.

i need you guys' advice very soon. i don't want it to suffer, but i don't want to kill it if its not necessary. [​IMG] have any of you ever had to do this?

[​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Poor baby. You can give it electrolytes and vitamins in the water. Also part of a baby aspirin can help. That's a pretty bad injury if a bone is sticking out. You may have to put the bird down but I would try to give it a chance. It is too young to be in with adult birds. Bluecoat will help the wound, antibiotic ointment is good. With that much ripped open, I would bandage it to keep bugs off.

3. JanaBanana1

JanaBanana1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    And after you help the baby chick out, I would make the culprit chicken dumpling dinner! [​IMG] I hope you are able to help that poor thing.. imagine the pain it is in... maybe call your local vet for something?

4. chikenlover123

Sep 12, 2009
    hey, thanks for all your help. God took care of it, and the poor thing died. i think its better off though. it looked like it was hurting badly.

this chick was part of one clutch that has a really good mom, but it was the runt, so it couldn't keep next to the mom. the hen that pecked it has her own chicks right now, so i don't know if she ws just protecting her children, but there is no excuse for this. i am probably going to separate the two families so this doesn't happen again.

thanks aagain for all the help. [​IMG]

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Sorry your chicken died, but at least it isn't suffering any more. I think separating the families is a good idea.

6. chikenlover123

Sep 12, 2009
    exactly my thoughts. [​IMG]

7. JanaBanana1

JanaBanana1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    This post is why I am going to separate my mama hen that just had babies today. Sorry the little thing didn't make it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by