Severely injured chick

Chickie-la-la7

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
We are new to raising chickens. We made the huge mistake of putting chicks in the coop with older hens. Needless to say, one was killed and the other severely injured. (Bloody, missing many feathers) We feel horrible! Should we put the injured one out of her misery? I doubt she will survive. Any advice?

Chickens can survive quite a bit of injury, but the rehab may be long and you have to decide if you are willing able to spend the kind of time nessecary to rehab them. Not just time but a secure area for up to several months, seperate from the others, multiple wound cleanings a day at first. I really like my girls, but for me and my family rehabbing them is just not doable for time and secure space, I have made the descision to cull my two injured chickens humanly, it was not easy, but it was ness. If that is what you decide will be best for you and your family, don't feel guilty about it, a quick reletively painfree death is better then a slow painful one.

She has numerous injuries and only being a few months old, quickly and humanely putting her down would be the best thing for her. Now I just have to get the courage up to do it! Thank you for your advice.

Good luck. If you lay them down for a few moments first they go in a little trance like thing where they are very calm, it makes it a little easier, but I won't lie it is still hard, just remember it is for her good, to relieve her pain. After it is done, destress yourself. Whatever stress reliever you have (hobby, special food, alchohol?, exercise, etc) seriously you will need the stress relief.

***rather graphic descriptions***

So...I couldn't bear to let Chickie-la-la cull her chick without at least trying to help. She's married to my Boss, so I had some idea of what I was getting myself into (or so I thought). I agreed to take the chick and see what I could do to help (it seems my heart is bigger than my brain). When I got her home and started treating her, I discovered I was in over my head. She was completely missing her right wing at the shoulder, and her left wing was hanging by a tendon at the elbow. She had also been pecked bare along her neckline and on her right side just before the tail feathers. When I saw the shoulder bone poking out, my heart sank. I was not prepared for this. I thought she had been pecked a little and kind of beaten up. I did not realize the damage was this severe. But, I had agreed to try and help her...so no turning back now. I set up a hospital tote laid her in it, and quickly ran to the feed store and drug store for supplies. By the time I got back my BF was home to help me. We got her cleaned up the best we could. I amputated her left wing at the elbow and applied BluKote antiseptic spray and a triple antibiotic ointment. Wrapped her in gauze and vet wrap and voila! (or so I thought). Put her back I her tote with some chick starter and water with electrolytes. I expected her to lay down and rest after what she had been through...wrong! She was up eating and drinking (and pooping) just like a normal chick. I was surprised and very happy to see her eating. We put her in a quiet dim room hoping she would calm down and rest...wrong again. I checked back on her about 10 minutes later and had slipped her bandages off over her head and was standing there trying to look I innocent...very cute. I gave up on the gauze idea and cut a sock and safety pinned it on, she hates it but it works. It was a sleepless night for me (but she eventually settled down and went to sleep). I checked in on her several times over the night, always expecting the worst. By morning she was up and acting like nothing had happened. Eating, drinking, chirping and pooping.

Now fast forward a week...I have learned so much from this sweet little girl. She has endured so much, and yet has such a will to live.
She does not act like she has any injuries at all. And does not show any sign of pain (unless we are applying medicine). She has such a wonderful personality and is sweet and friendly. She seemed quite lonely so I put a mirror in with her, and she sits in front of it all day talking to her "friend". She actually "sings" she whistles and warbles like a songbird. I have never had a chicken "sing" like this. Needless to say, she has melted my heart. I have learned that what I lack in medical training, I can make up for with TLC. She is a very tough little girl, and I hope I will get to enjoy her for years to come. I have no doubt she will overcome her challenges. I'm very glad that I decided to help her. I will follow up from time to time and update her condition.

Last edited:
What a sweet story, and bless you for not giving up on her. I hope to hear more about this little one in the future. I hope she will continue to show determination in over coming her disablities. Great work.
thumbsup.gif

I have no illusion that the healing process will be anything but timely and difficult. But with such a wonderful little patient, every moment will be worth it. Time, energy and TLC are something I have a lot of.

i was tearing up as i read this.what a sweet story.youre little one knows how lucky she is to have such a loving chicken mom.i hope your baby continues to do good..

All I can say is WOW... Wild Thing.... Hats off to you.....
clap.gif
I pray for the best for that poor little chick!

Chickie La La- tough lesson to learn. I bet you'll never make that mistake again!! Chickens can be brutal when it comes to integration. Its not easy, thats for sure!

Back
Top Bottom