Severely injured rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nifrit, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Nifrit

Nifrit New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Our rooster was attacked by a fox on Wednesday. We thought he was dead and left him in the field at the back of the barn. About 2 hours later when we went back out, he was at the door of the coop. Limping badly, head hanging low. We picked him up and put him in the coop. The next morning he was trying to get out to the yard, so we brought food and water to him. He still cannot pick up his head and lies still for most of the time. It looks like he is eating. There are no lacerations, he lost his tail feathers, but the lack of mobility indicates he is really hurt. I have not yet found a vet that treats chickens. I am torn between letting time pass to see if he will heal or putting him down so he does not suffer. Any suggestions?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I suggest trying to save the tough guy that gave himself up to protect the flock.
    He'll make a great rooster long term.

You should check him over more thoroughly for wounds. Then check the joints to try and determine why he's limping.
    I'd also bring him in so he doesn't have to do so much work. Let him heal and eventually he should be fine. Give him some vitamins and electrolytes in the water. Maybe some sugar or agave nectar in the water for energy. Stick with a complete grower or all flock feed (NO LAYER FEED) and a little animal protein to promote healing. A little grain won't hurt.

2 people like this.
  3. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Let some time pass. Your rooster is hanging in the balance of life or death, but I think he'll make it. That he's eating is a great sign. He obviously has the will to live. He either has some internal injury that time will heal or maybe he's going through shock. Keep taking care of him, and if I were you I wouldn't let him around the other birds until a week or two. Good luck :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  4. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I would try to give him some time and do as suggested above. I have a huge soft spot for roosters who put themselves on the front line. That would earn them some effort on my part to help them mend. I think shock is a good possibility and I would give him a safe, warm secure and isolated quiet spot with food and water as suggested above. He may surprise you. Best of luck to you.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2.
    I'd try to preserve the genetics of a bird that tough.

6. Nifrit

Nifrit New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Thank you al. Using your suggestions. His name is Chip, now superChipster, he is 3 and still hanging in.

7. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Great! Keep us updated on that tough boy! Good wishes for a full recovery for him. :)

8. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    x2 glad to hear it :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by