1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

severely pecked chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by otto, Sep 10, 2009.

1. otto

otto Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    I have a 6 week old rhode island red who was severely pecked at by another mature chicken. She is still behaving normally but a very bad wound on her neck, all feathers and shin are gone. We are cleaning and applying a strong topical antibiotic twice daily. I've purchased penicillin but can anyone recommend appropriate dosage? I would estimate she is less than 1.5 pounds in weight.

Suggestions??

2. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    i would say call a local feed store and ask someone there or maybe your state ag extension office. they can connect you with someone who might know. i would also say to put some blue kote on the wound. 6wks seems like maybe the size is the issue, the bigger hens will pick on it untill its bigger, maybe you'll want to separate?
    good luck! hope it gets better!

3. otto

otto Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    thanks. Already separated. The chick is beginning to bond with my wife. Guinevere, the bird, seems to be in good spirits, flying and walking around. Te concern is the possibility of an infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by