Severly Injured Chicken. How do I ease the pain?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jazzabelle, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jazzabelle

jazzabelle New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what I should do in regards to my little chicken who has been severly injured. I'll give you the run down.

On Friday night I couldn't find my little girl so I was just hoping that she would return by nightfall. She didn't turn up but I didn't have time to look for her because I had to go out. BUT, when we got home, there she was, the poor thing, sitting outside the locked coop. Upon futher inspection I found that she was really injured. She has scrapes on one side of her body, a puncture near the back of the neck, and a gaping wound on the other side.

I'm really suprised that she could actually make it back to the coop in that condition and in the dark. (We later found feathers down near the front of the property, and that is a fair distance to the coop, especially for an injured bantam (she's a Pekin).

Anyway, we've been to the vet and he gave her antibiotics to fight off infection, but he doesn't have much hope for her. She's been recooperating well, she's a lot stronger than she was on Saturday morning (mind you, she is eating like a horse so she certainly hasn't lot her appetite). But the problem is, it is obvious that she is in a lot of pain, and I really wish I could do something to ease it. So could I give her a betadine bath (she actually tolerates baths well, to the point where we think she enjoys them) or a spray, or even I've read that you can give them aspirin in water but I'm not sure if her wound is still seeping. I just really want something to ease the pain until she (hopefully) recovers.

Thanks a lot,
    jb

P.S - We are after something that doesnt sting or hurt my little girl in any way, if possible.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    ASPIRIN SOLUTION

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

Hope that helps. Good luck with her.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Birds are amazing healers if nothing major was injured. Infection is the main concern and shock. You can use Blue kote on open wounds and scraps. Neosporin w/o pain killer in it can be used on wounds and scrapes. keep her warm, keep her calm and eating & drinking and hopefully she will continue to improve. It's good that she is eating well, she seems like a fighter to have gone through all that.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Just remember aspirin is a blood thinner...

5. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    Are the wounds superficial? Or are they deep? Animal bites harbor nasty bacteria in their mouths. We had one injured bird left out of the flock that escaped an attack. The vet found ours had a broken pelvis as well, and deeper wounds that were festering. Wounds cause pain too. Try and keep her wounds clean as much as possible. I would keep her separated from the others, and allow her a place to rest. I would feed her what they recommend for stressed birds--as I do not know what products off the top of my head, but the the feed store might have something. Betadine is good for killing bacteria, but it can be hard on good tissue too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by