Severly Injured Mouse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 44Wolves, Jul 1, 2011.

1. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    You see, I love mice. Wild Mice. But yesterday I found one in a mouse trap. I opened it and let it go in a rock pile. Later a found it again. This time it looked pretty beat. Both of it's eyes are half closed, one is cloudy. One back leg is broken. Right now he is in a tote with food, water, a box, shredded newspaper and a tube. He's not looking so good. What should I do to help him?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sadly, I think he needs to be put out of his misery in the kindest way possible (wildlife rehab place around? they would help)
    JJ

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I understand your love of nature and all the critters that abide there, however coming from a state that knows all too well about Hanta Virus, you need to let nature take its course and let that mouse alone. Hanta Virus occurs in every state of the union. Mainly Deer Mice are the carriers of it, however other mice can also have this virus. The virus spreads thru the droppings and urine of the mouse and inhaling it is the easiest way to die.

Literally die. The mortality rate of folks catching Hanta is well over 50%. There are only one or two hospitals around the country that can save you. Death can occur 4 days after symptoms appear. It is a violent death. So I suggest either putting the mouse out of it's misery or turning it loose and letting nature do it's thing. I am sorry but this is life.

4. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Okay, I'll let him go. Actually, I'm going to release him near my trail camera. Just to see if anything attacks him. Thanks!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    He'll never make it with a broken leg out on his own. He'll just slowly suffer and die of starvation or predation, which ever comes first. Maybe you could call a wildlife center and ask how they humanely relieve a mouse of it's suffering - maybe an overdose of sone kind of sleeping agent would do it.....

So sad, any which way, I know.

JJ

Luckily, while there are bazillions of mice we billions of humans come into contact with, a relatively few humans have adverse health effects. Not to say it couldn't happen.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Just chop it's head off.

7. Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by