Severly injured rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamave, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jamave

jamave New Egg

May 13, 2010
    I'm relatively new to chickens and let them free range. Our neighbor's dog just attacked my beautiful friendly rooster. Henry won't stop shaking and has a big opened wound on his back just above his tail feathers. What can I put on the wound to help him heal and prevent infection?

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    How large is the wound. Can you show a picture. Clean it and put some antibiotic ointment on it.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Your roo is probably in shock. Keep him warm, electrolytes and vitamins and sugar in water. You can give part of a baby aspirin for pain. So sorry this happened.

4. Kazzandra

Kazzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    NC Appalachian Mountains
    Hoping for the best-- they can sometimes pull through after something like this... [​IMG]

5. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Make sure the antibiotic ointment is the regular and doesn't have the pain med stuff in it. I've been told that is bad for chickens. Wish people would control their dogs! Good luck, I also hope he makes it. [​IMG]

6. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    "EMT" from TSC or "Alusheild" from TSC... Keep the would clean, covered (both products seal the wound) and electrolytes for the shock.

I have treated alot of chickens this way. They do just fine. Honestly, they will live through more than people give them credit for.

I constantly keep EMT and Alushield on hand. Won't be caught without it. The EMT goes on like honey and dries like glue, PLUS has a pain reliever in it. Nice. I even used it on myself. Better than a band-aid.

The Alushield is a spray and literally is silver. It is anticeptic too... but easier to apply and both are safe for chickens. I have 8 chickens that prove it. People told me to just put them down and I knew I could help them with time. [​IMG]

Good luck, and feel free to PM if I only caused you more questions.

7. jamave

jamave New Egg

May 13, 2010
    Thanks to all who replied and tried to help. My beautiful, big, super friendly (sat in my lap) light sussex rooster died about 2 hours after the attack. I get teary eyed just writing this. I went and spoke to the neighbor. Don't have much hope that they will control their dogs. For now, my flock of 31 will not be allowed to free range. I'm going out to dig in my compost pile to get treats for all of them and hopefully they won't miss roaming on the farm so much.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That is just so upsetting. There are so many dog attacks on chickens!!! It's just so needless! #$!&@#. My condolences sweetie. [​IMG]

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Call the law. I did on Sunday after a attack... they are making her pay me for my loss or she gets arrested. meanwhile I can shoot or trap and shelter the dog.

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    So sorry about your rooster! [​IMG] Where are you? I have an extra lt Sussex roo if it will help you out. I am in west TN. Be ready, that dog will be back. SSS is the best policy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by