Sevin dust for mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ziggywiggy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Has anyone ever used sevin dust for mites. There is a person in the Turkey section using it. I would think it would be toxic to the birds and could possibly kill them.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have used it without any harmful effects. It has the same exact ingredients in it as Prozap poultry dust.

Now, I prefer to use permethrin. You just mix the liquid with water in a pump sprayer, and spray the birds. The residue lasts on the birds for 28 days, so you dont have to repeat it in 7-10 days like you do with sevin dust.

3. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    i have never used sevin, but I did have mites a month back, and i used Diatomaceous earth under new shavings and in the outside yard. no more mites, it worked perfectly

4. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Sevin is very toxic to everything...pyrethrin is suppose to be safer.
    Diatomaceous earth is my pick!

5. ziggywiggy

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Quote:Where do you get permethrin?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

7. ziggywiggy

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Quote:I've always heard that too about sevin dust. Even a lot of gardeners are adverse to it. I think possiby the reason the persons turkeys are sick is because of the sevin dust but, I need confirmation before I would say anything.

8. Nif

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
  9. Nif

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    DE is used for prevention, if you have an active infestation you need something stronger.

I have heard this said on BYC before. I would really like to research this because I thought the DE killed pests because the sharp pieces of fossil pierce the lungs of the bugs and kill them.
    But I am not opposed to using pyrethrin just to be sure! Sevin is banned in a lot of areas, I am sure you can find lots of info on the web about how toxic it is.​

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I use DE in the bedding and boxes every time I clean - once a week - and the hens (5 mixed 7 month olds) got mites anyway. One poor girl lost weight before I realized it. I've dusted them yesterday with the permethrin poultry dust, but will have to wait to disinfect the coop until the weather clears (pouring rain). What went wrong? I feel so bad for the birds.

edited: I didnt type fast enough, someone already answered!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by