1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SEVIN DUST for mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doublejfarm, Jun 15, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Anyone ever heard of putting Sevin dust directly on chickens for the control of mites/ lice. Do you just just throw on them or what? I don't want to hurt them.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    There are 2 ways you can dust birds:
    1. Fill a small garbage bag with dust and dunk the chicken in up to the neck. Cinch it around the neck to prevent dust from going into the bird's face, and swirl it around. This is easier with 2 people- one to hold the bird and bag, and the other to swish the bag around, covering the bird with dust.

2. Cut the leg off a pair of panty hose. Fill the foot with dust and use it like a powder puff on the bird. Puff under their wings and around the vent very well. This is much easier, neater and really only needs one person to accomplish.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

3 people like this.
  3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the "inactive" ingredients in Sevin Dust? I think I read somewhere once that it is 95% DE, is that correct? If so, what type of DE is it? I've looked all over the net and can't find any facts. Thanks

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a cheese shaker, like in an Italian restaraunt. Hold the bird dangling by the legs and dust under the wings and tail and all over. Try to keep it out of the birds face, but a little won`t hurt. Sevin is safe for nests, even those with broodies with chicks. Been doing it for years like this..........Pop

4 people like this.
  6. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I sprinkle Seven Dust in my coop in the wood shavings as well as in the dust boxes in the run. I figure when the girls are dust bathing they are also helping to control mites.

1 person likes this.
  7. doublejfarm

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Awesome. Thanks y'all. I learn something new every day. I was told to do it with the bag but I wanted to check with my BYC brethren first. The guy that told me about it called it " sjhake and bake" cool. Ill do that then. One more question though... SEVIN kills the mites / lice. But don't I need to re treat for the eggs after the hatch?

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes. You need to re-treat in 7-10 days. Don't forget to clean out the entire coop and treat it, as well.

9. doublejfarm

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Ok great that's what I'll do

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Actually the hatch is at day 10, so day 7 is a "mite" early, lol.........Pop

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by