sevin dust is not working on lice...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LindsayB, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I've been battling lice with my 4 hens for a while. I dust them with sevin every 2 weeks and clean the coop out weekly and sprinkle sevin all in the shavings...I just went to collect eggs earlier and saw 3 lice crawling on the wall inside the coop all around the sevin dust! [​IMG] What the heck do I do now? Will there always be a few lice? I don't like those creepy crawlies on my birds!

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Oh my! I can't imagine why the Sevin isn't working. I consider it the 'big gun' when dealing with bugs. Did you try putting Sevin in an old stocking and poofing it on all surfaces? That would be my suggestion .... hopefully someone else will have more information for you.

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I dusted everything in the coop with it! Well except the feeder and nest box. I even sprayed my birds with a liquid insect poison. ( I don't remember what the brand was but it was safe for use on poultry. I must have some mutant lice in the coop. LOL

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Gotta dust everything...chickens, roosts, nests. Repeat dusting everything in 10 days to kill nits hatched after the first dusting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by