1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sevin Dust ((Stories))

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LotsOLopsChicks, Mar 10, 2015.

1. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Okay all, what do you think of Sevin Dust?

If you have a story about it to share, please tell! Has it done something to you or your flock?

I'm a minor-NO FIGHTING!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that Sevin Dust is excellent for pest control on chickens. I've used it for the past four years on my birds, with no ill effects on me or my chickens. It works the best of any product I've tried for eliminating mite infestations. When my birds get mites, it is the first thing I try, because it kills within a couple of days.

I believe that it is very useful for treating external parasites. I haven't had any luck with diatamaceious earth, and very little success using Poultry Protector and Frontline spray. Sevin always kills mites rapidly.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sevin is potent stuff, it works well because it kills all insects, both pest and predator insects...which IMO is not good for the overall balance in managing insect issues....including bees and other pollinators.

I would never use it as a preventative, but might resort to using it in an infestation event-tho there are other options for infestation.

If I did use it, I would be very, very careful to keep it confined to the birds themselves and wear some serious respiratory protection for myself while applying it.

Just my two (sense) cents.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A poison is a poison, whether organic or not. Mother Nature makes some poisons so bad that they are banned by organic organizations. I try hard to not use any poison, either with my animals or in my garden. When I do I try to find the one that will do the job effectively and with the least side effects, on me and the environment. You need to realize that any poison can have an effect on you, so use it carefully.

I have found Sevin to be very effective in controlling mites and such. It’s my poison of choice for that use. There are other poisons out there that will work if applied properly but since Sevin has proven to be so effective, I just stick with it.

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I use it and it works wonderfully. It costs far less than DE which does not work for any situation I've ever had.

I've even taken poultry lice and put them in a Ziploc bag with some DE. The bug crawled around for a few days until I got bored and squished it.

2 people like this.
  6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The other good choice in powders is permethrin, which is actually approved for use in poultry, and kills mites and lice. WEAR GOOD FACE MASK if using any powder. I use Ivermectin on the birds (NOT APPROVED but works well) and powder in the coop and bedding. Mary

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by