SEVIN dust ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annrich, Jul 14, 2007.

1. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Hi everyone!! I am not sure how to apply Seven dust for mites, lice, etc. I read on here it's used for cure, and prevention. I do not see any bugs on anyone so far.
    so my ???????'s

1) How do I apply it?

2) How old do they have to be before I can treat them?

3) How the heck an I gonna catch my bad attitude roosters? lol
    ( I can figure this one out but if anyone would like to volunteer.)

AT the feed store I seen mite powder that you just sprinkle, But it was sooo expensive. I have 15 chickens all together and the bottle was small, thats why I bought Seven dust.

Thanks,
    Ann

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    I would just use the Diatramaceous Earth. It is completely safe for the chickens. It is made by a company called Perma-Guard. It is food grade and you can give some in their food to take care of worms also. It works on fleas, tics, fire ants, and much more. Here is a link http://www.perma-guard.com/ [​IMG]

3. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Find or buy a cheap salt (or pepper) shaker, preferably with a small(ish) head and small holes. Go out at night with someone to help you, while they're roosting and as quietly as possible (and try not to shine the flashlight in or on the others or they start to stir and get half awake and get harder to catch) pick one up and while you spread feathers, let the other person shake the shaker to dust. Try not to get any around the eyes, Make sure to get around the vent too. I've also used a 1 inch very soft pant brush...dip the tip in the duct and brush sort of against the feathers on the neck, this way it's a little easier to spread the dust and keep it out of the eyes of the bird.

4. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I've also read that you could put some dust in a garbage bag and then put the chicken in it WITH THEIR HEAD OUT, then just shake the bag around the chicken (you'd don't have to shake the chicken). Shaking the bag itself will stir up all the dust inside and "coat" the chicken. You may have to experiment to see what's best. I'm thinking of trying this out soon as well. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, I totally agree with Yonaton to do a night time "sneak attack" lol. They're much easier to get to when they're already roosting for the night.

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My opinion is that there are too many possible side effects, you should always read the material safety data sheet (msds)so you are aware of these hazzards associated with its use. I agree with the DE use advice.

6. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Thanks everyone, Now im confused:| lol So Seven dust -vs- De
    Now what to do????? DE isn't that the same stuff for the pool filters???

My Great Grandfather would kick my blank blank blank butt if he seen how much $$$ I have spent on these chickens.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I get Poultry Dust from the feed store. If the infestation is bad or about once a year in Spring, I use it full strength and after that, I use it very 3 to 4 months topped up with DE. When the can is empty of the original stuff, it is time to use full strength again and I start over. The can has a shaker top and I grab a hen and turn her upside down by the legs and powder "wingpit-wingpit-vent-neck and kinda fluff it into the feathers. I do it at night because I just grab them off the roost and when they go back to sleep it gives the powder a chance to work by morning.

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I use Seven Dust in a cheese shaker like you'd find in a pizza joint. Just hold them by the legs so they hang upside down (ruffling the feathers a bit so the dust gets down to the skin. I'm really careful with the heavier birds and try to always have a spare set of hands around to help support them. No, they don't like it, and they do close their eyes to keep the dust out. Haven't had any problems yet. I also use Seven Dust in the hen house and nests when I clean it out.

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Sevin dust. I've used it with no problems in the past. Actually used the same method chicken-mama does, hang them upside down and they won't struggle and hurt themselves or get the dust everywhere. Currently I use DE though, now that I have a little one running around. Have had no bug problems since, I dust in their coop and around the pen and the goats area.

My little one btw she's 2 and we had to call poison control last night because she took a bite out of my deodorant [​IMG] [​IMG] !!! Luckily it was a "just drink some water and she'll be fine" kinda of thing but I couldn't imagine if she got into the Sevin dust, at least DE is natural and won't do her any harm...

10. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    [​IMG] "Back in the day" as the young folk say, we used Sevin dust on all our dogs for fleas. Now we use that expensive stuff that goes between their shoulder blades.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by