sevin dust

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ArabianHaven, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ArabianHaven

ArabianHaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Hi! I wanted to know how much sevin dust I should put on my chickens and where? I have 5% sevin dust and I do not know how much and where to put it.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    No exact measurements required. Just get a good handful and put in down through their back feathers. Work it down through under the wings and around the underside. Then pick the bird up and tilt forward. Most birds will through their tails up exposing the vent. Dust the area good and work it down through the fluff under the vent and up through the tail.

This is easier with 2 people, but 1 can manage. If you are sensitive to dust, wear a mask and gloves. I don't and am congested for a couple days afterwards, but that is just because I am stubborn(and not very bright).

When finished sit the bird down in their house or an area that they dust bathe in. They will immediately shake off excess. No sense in wasting it.

Matt

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    all over them...how ever much it takes...I usually put mine in a tub...that way I catch whatever falls off or I miss with then I dumped it out and put it on the next bird (I actually wait until I have fairly good build up...every 10 birds or so)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by