sevin dust?

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
hello,im gonna clean out the coop tomorrow.ive noticed some bugs on my chickens.i was wondering,do i put the sevin down then the fresh litter on top?do i put just a thin layer down or use alot?last but not least,is there anything i can put in there water to help get rid of the bugs? ive got almost 60 chickens and it would be hard to dust them all.
thanks

I used sevin dust on my hens (for mites) and gave them a very light dusting and that did the trick. Personally I would put the dust down and then the bedding. I wouldn't put a whole lot because it is dust and you want to minimize the amount of dust the hens breath. As far as water I don't know, the only bugs I have seen in my hens water dish disappeared just as quickly because the hens snatched them up.

I agree with huntercf regarding putting sevin dust in the bedding. Yes, 60 chickens is alot to dust....here's an easier way; Buy Ivomec injectable 50ml 1% injectable cattle ivermectin; mix it in water, 4cc/ml per gallon of water. The mixture is the only water the birds get for 3 days, change water if necessary with same dosage during the 3 days. Retreat in 14 days for lice/mites....same mixture, same amount of time. jeffers livestock carries it.

Back
Top Bottom