sevin dust?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kyrose, Aug 27, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,im gonna clean out the coop tomorrow.ive noticed some bugs on my chickens.i was wondering,do i put the sevin down then the fresh litter on top?do i put just a thin layer down or use alot?last but not least,is there anything i can put in there water to help get rid of the bugs? ive got almost 60 chickens and it would be hard to dust them all.
    thanks

2. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I used sevin dust on my hens (for mites) and gave them a very light dusting and that did the trick. Personally I would put the dust down and then the bedding. I wouldn't put a whole lot because it is dust and you want to minimize the amount of dust the hens breath. As far as water I don't know, the only bugs I have seen in my hens water dish disappeared just as quickly because the hens snatched them up.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with huntercf regarding putting sevin dust in the bedding. Yes, 60 chickens is alot to dust....here's an easier way; Buy Ivomec injectable 50ml 1% injectable cattle ivermectin; mix it in water, 4cc/ml per gallon of water. The mixture is the only water the birds get for 3 days, change water if necessary with same dosage during the 3 days. Retreat in 14 days for lice/mites....same mixture, same amount of time. jeffers livestock carries it.

4. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:thanks dawg and huntercf.is the ivomec and ivermectin 2 different things?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by