Sevin dust ?

PrincessKristin

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Happily married in Texas :)
I am cleaning out the coop today ( even though I am sick as a dog with the crud) because my flock has fowlpox and I dont want to loose any. Now I noticed a red mite on one of them is the sevin dust I would put on my garden the same as I hear people say they dust their ladies with? If so (even though they are sick and on antibiotics for resp. Infect as well) should I put some of the sevin dust in after I clean hen house? I will check in a few.Thanks guysfor your help.
Kristin

Yes, this is what you use. You will need to spread it on all areas, all nooks and crannies. Roosts, etc.

Do you have a mask that you can wear? You shouldn't be using this without one. Also, since you found them on the chickens, they will need to all be dusted as well. And, again in 10 days. Put the sevin in an old pillow case. Insert chicken up to the neck...and, shake them around :) Gently. Do this for each chicken. Sorry you are sick..this will be absolutely no fun for you right now.

The mites couldve weakened the birds immune systems causing the respiratory problems your birds are dealing with. I recommend feeding your birds a mixture of buttermilk and scrambled eggs for the next 3-4 days. You can put the mixture in their feed if you wish.
Leadwolf1 is 'spot on' with her recommendations.

Alrighty, I got their house cleaned, put the sevin dust in swished it around with the broomstick. I made'um scrambled eggs. Wew! :th Thanks for all your help & advice everyone. It is much appreciated!

Kristin

Last edited:
How's everyone, including yourself? Hope things are getting back to normal for you and the chickens!

Thanks for asking wolf. I feel MUCH better. I believe my flock is too! :) I have a lil' girl, Speckles who has fowl pox so bad her eyes are swollen shut :( she is setup in a cage in my house and I have been cleaning her eyes and puting neosporin on them morning noon and night. She can now peek out of both somewhat enough to eat and drink. Now she is tame as ever :) Most, well all my flock willcome around your feet but wont let you pick them up. I just started raising fowl this summer around May...so I hope they come around. Hope all is well with you & yours. Thanks for all your help I needed it real bad.I'd be lost without ya'll :hugs here is a pic of speckles eyes yesterday. Poor thing :(

Kristin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom