Sevin- UGH no dust available local

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by X2Farm, Sep 25, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    As the title says [​IMG] All I can find are granules, and we're flooded with fireants right now, coops, yard, house, UGH!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Can I use the granules like I would dust, and spread it in the coop/run etc? I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but I just want to be sure, before I spend the money!!!! [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've never used granules. Walmart and Lowes carries sevin dust in the canister, about $10.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Got my dust (and used it today, by the way) at my feed store which also has a garden section.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would be a little worried the chickens might mistake granules for food. Don't know if it would hurt them but it might.

5. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:Yeah, I have so much space to dust, it'd cost a small fortune buying by the canisters [​IMG] Thats why Id considered the granules, same price for a bigger bag...[​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I found that Agriculture lime will get rid of them and it is cheap,won't hurt the chicckens.

Don't get it in any fresh scratches cause it stings [​IMG] but hay it healed really fast.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yeah, I have so much space to dust, it'd cost a small fortune buying by the canisters [​IMG] Thats why Id considered the granules, same price for a bigger bag...[​IMG]

You might consider liquid sevin using a sprayer since you have alot of area to treat. Then you can buy one canister of sevin dust for spot treatment, or for your chickens if they have lice or mites. Thanks to the federal government, the large bags of sevin dust are no longer available and the bigger bags were cheaper too.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yeah those fireants are dangerous. My mom got whopped by one when she lived in NC.

Horrible wound.

9. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA

You might consider liquid sevin using a sprayer since you have alot of area to treat. Then you can buy one canister of sevin dust for spot treatment, or for your chickens if they have lice or mites. Thanks to the federal government, the large bags of sevin dust are no longer available and the bigger bags were cheaper too.

Say what? [​IMG]

I did get 2 canisters of dust last night. We almost bought the spray liquid, but it said nothing about area coverage, etc. (we spent 45 min readin bottles... ) The bottle of concentrate had 22.5% instead of the 5% and I wasn't sure the final dilution at the sprayer. Since my RIR's free range, I didn't want to spray and them get sick...

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I got one at walmart.They are starting to lower prices on summer items so check them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by