1. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I saw some posts saying to use sevin to kill mites. Is this the same Sevin you would use on tomato plants? I have some 5% sevin and if this is what I would use do you dust it right on the feathers or sprinkle around where they dust bath?

2. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    After posting this inquiry I searched and found pages of info. -

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

So... what did you find out... I would like to know, also.
    thanks.

4. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I use 5% sevin (plant kind) in the coop. I sprinkle it into the shavings and then I put some in their dust baths. I don't use much at all. A couple shakes of the can into the coop and a couple of shakes into the dust bath.

5. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I can't buy sevin anymore where I am. But I do occassionally use a poultry dust from TSC. I use it extremely sparingly - pesticide is never a good thing - but the pro's sometimes outweigh the con's. I found using an old baby powder bottle worked excellent for applying it to the birds. you can just shake it on like powdering a baby's bottom [​IMG] Not too much, not too little.
    My girls are generally able to control those little pesties with good dust baths under my shed.

6. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    If you go to Search and put sevin in the keyword box then click on Topic Subject only it will bring up a whole bunch of posts.

Basically okay to use in small amounts. Some sprinkle right on the chickens, some sprinkle in the coop floor and some put it where they dust bath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by