1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sevins dust

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by waibel zoo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I am crious. My chicks are still little and the coop not quite done yet. But it is a chicken ark and is planned to be moved about almost daily. So I know chickens like dust bath but I won't have a dust hole everytime they move. So can I set out a pan of sevins dust for then to bath in; thus killing two birds with one stone so to speak? They get a bath and lice deterent.

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I mix the sevins in with their dry dirt in the dust bathing area. That seems to work great.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Just a note that sevin is a powerful insecticide and most definitely not for human consumption. I would not choose to let kids or pets near it.

If you plan to eat eggs or meat of your chickens - I wouldn't use it. Others here do, I know, but many of us don't. You can make your own choice on that, but yu deserve to hear all sides and then make your own educated decision.
    best.

4. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Is there anything else to use besides sevin?

And if you do use sevin and dry dirt what mixture would be good like a 1/4 sevin and 3/4 dirt or 1/8 sevin and 7/8 dirt?

I will be planing on using a shallow tub for them to have dust baths in.

5. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    Any other opinions/ideas?

6. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    How about Diatomaceous Earth?
    I'm using Food grade diatomaceous earth in the small coops I've built mixed in with the shavings.

[​IMG]

Litewings

7. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sevin is powerful stuff. If used, it should be occasionally for treatment, not routinely as a preventative.

I imagine you would foster resistance if you used it routinely.

I use DE routinely. Also a debatable choice, but at least it is not a poison. You might also consider "poultry dust," usually pyrethrins or a pyrethrin/piperonyl mix.

Please be well informed before you choose.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Please tell me you don't mean a pan filled with ONLY Sevin dust or DE? That couldn't be healthy for any creature.

Some people sprinkle some 5% Sevin dust and/or DE in the places their chickens use to dust bathe, or mix some in a pan of sand or dirt to place in their runs. But it should be mostly dirt to just a little of the powder. I guess no more than 1/8 powder to 7/8 dirt. It would depend on how bad they were infested with "company".

People use the 5% Sevin dust to sprinkle directly on their birds when they get mites or lice. It can also be sprinkled around the places where they congregate, like their nest boxes. I use it on & around my layers & my meat birds. Of course, you don't dust your meat birds right before butchering. And you use good sense applying it so you don't inhale or ingest it.

But unless your chicks have mites or lice, I wouldn't put it in their dust bath pans. They'll have fun with good plain dry dirt.

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That stuff sounds awesome; is it $$?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by