Sewed a wound back together... hope it works

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue Roof Farm, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Blue Roof Farm

Blue Roof Farm New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    My daughter discovered that our hen, Djinn, was injured. It seems bad. Her skin is layed open from her mid back in a Y-shaped cut down her thigh and side. A flap of skin was layed open and still attached. The muscle is in tact, but approximately 2" of muscle was exposed.
    She apparently wasn't feeling all that bad because she obviously decided to take a dust bath and got all kinds of dirt and dust in the wound. I did the best I could with water, a Q-tip, and a washcloth to clean out the would, but I just can't get it all clean.
    I decided to try to stich it up, so I rubbed some tripple antibiotic cream on the would and commenced to put about 6 stiches in, each about 1/2" apart thinking that it would drain if it got infected.
    After 3 days, there's no sign of infection, but the would is still filthy and the cream seems to be attracting the dirt. So last night, I got a toothbrush and water and cleaned her up again and set out to stitch her up better. By the way, I'm encourage by how well she's thriving. I thought she'd get docile, but nope, Djinn's still running from me and foraging as usual.
    I noticed that the edges of the skin had dried up and looked like bacon. I wasn't sure if I should remove this or not, so where it seemed to be falling off, I removed it. Where it wasn't I left it. Again, I can see dirt in the wound, but I just can't get it all out! This time I put the stiches closer together and used nylon fishing line. I sewed the skin back toghethre tight except at the bottom where I left it open a bit for drainage. If there was dried skin tried to sew behind it. Then I put more antibiotic on her. I'm hoping that her immune system will do the rest. Hopefully she'll heal up.
    I don't know anything about suturing, in fact, I can't believe that I was able to do it without passing out, but I did it, TWICE! Should I have removed the dead skin? Will I have to remove the stitches later?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The best thing to do for open dirty wounds is to leave them open. You can flush them out with the kitchen water sprayer pretty thoroughly. Hydrogen peroxide used only once at first will cleanse the wound pretty well. Hibiclens or betadine are also good for flushing out a dirty wound. I can understand how the neosporin ointment would collect dirt. She probably needs to be confined in a dog crate or box to keep her wound clean. Please watch out for fly and maggot infestation. In this summer weather that could kill her. I would probably get her on some penicillin from the feed store or vet.

3. tperry50

tperry50 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Verona, NY
    I have a hen who was pecked bare through the flesh by roosters and muscle was exposed and a flap of skin hanging off. I cleaned her as mentioned in previous post once with peroxide then coated her wound daily with triple antibiotic ointment and her flap of skin fell off after about 2 weeks and her 50 cent size wound is now less than pea size. I think stitching a dirty wound may cause more infection by trapping dirt.

4. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    tperry50--did you have any issue with maggots? Mine was also pecked through the flesh all over the back of her head. I'm washing wound with saline. I'm treating mine with vetericyn (antibiotic for animals) and everytime I put it on, it aggravates the maggots.

5. tperry50

tperry50 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Verona, NY
    I flushed it once with water and then peroxide and then reapplied a coating of triple antibiotic ointment and I gave her my chick starter with antibiotics in it just in case it would help her . But no maggots I think I caught it before they got a hold of her. I'd flush it until I see no more maggots and then cover it in ointment to keep them out. Keeping her in a clean area will keep the wound cleaner too we kept her in a rabbit cage by herself for almost 2 weeks.

6. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    How did you re-introduce her to the flock? Mine will definitely have to be isolated for 2 weeks, possibly more [​IMG]

7. tperry50

tperry50 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Verona, NY
    I put her in w the flock a few hours a day increasing the amount of time each day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by