Sewing machine v.s Sewing machine

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by minniechicks, Jul 12, 2011.

1. minniechicks

minniechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Phenix City, AL
    I need a new sewing machine and I want one that does embroidry too. I am looking toward Singer. Please advise. Thanks, Minniechicks [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I have several Singers and a Janome. It just depends on how high tech you want to go. Love them all! Shop around and see the demo. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    I think it all depends on how much you want to spend. Singer has always been a good machine. I have a Bernina sewing machine and a Janome serger. Make a list of what features you want, how much you want to spend and then visit a fabric shop or two to compare different machines. Another factor to consider is how much will you use the machine? If you are going to use it a lot and for many years, then you may want to spend a little more. Good luck finding the machine of your dreams and have a blast with your creativity.

4. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I have the opposite of hisdaughter, a Janome sewing machine and a Bernina serger. And I totally agree the Singers I have are still wonderful, running great. My newest Singer, which is about 25 years old does nice embroidery. The only reason I bought the Janome (about 8 years ago), I wanted the ability to design on the computer, but honestly I probably have not done that enough for the price. Maybe if I didn't work!!

5. Circe

Circe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    I have a Janome embroidery machine and a White serger. I like my sewing machine, but I want to upgrade to a Babylock. I'm saving my pennies, now. My MIL has a Babylock serger, and it's a dream, an expensive dream, though.

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore. It was just a basic machine, but it was good for learning on.

6. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Another thing to consider is the hoop size,i think with some of the singers u have to be connected to the internet to run the designs. A lot of the machines have a memory stick that u can down load on to.I have a hus,it is ok,it does have a nice hoop size.Oh i have been told singer owns hus now.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    My mom has had a Singer for about 30+ years now and still uses it [​IMG] it is a beast!! [​IMG]

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/singer-ses1000-all-in-one-sew-embroider-and-serge-machine_p-5448396_xp.aspx

This
    is a Singer SES1000 and it's an awesome machine.

I mainly use mine for embroidery but you can use it to sew or as a serger, which is really neat. Its a good price to and you can download lots of free and other designs from websites online. Plus you can do cross-stitch designs and use your computers fonts. Click on the "watch video" and it will show you lots of things this machine can do. When I watched the video I was sold on the machine.

This machine uses the "compucon xxx" format but you can use other designs such as PES and others, and it comes with a 4x4 and 5x7 hoop

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. Circe

Circe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    Very good point about hoop size if you want it for embroidery. Mine only came with a 4x4 hoop, and I want a larger one.

10. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    The largest hoop my hus has is 360 by 200 mm,there r some with larger hoops but they can cost alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by