sewing machines

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by minniechicks, Nov 3, 2010.

1. minniechicks

minniechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Phenix City, AL
    Please help. I have a friend wanting to buy a sewing machine. She has one but she wants to upgrade. She does quilting and is looking at several singer model machines. she has also looked a viking. I dont know a whole lot about the machines, so i told her i would ask yall. thanks minnie:barnie:he:he:th

2. oldbag855

oldbag855 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Allegany
    I have two singers and one white. Would buy a Singer again. I have one of their quilting (sewing) machines and it works very well for what I want it for. The other has a slant needle which is a small thing but it sews much better than a straight up and down needle. I looked for features that I use now not ones that I may use later. Don't let the salesman tell "you you'll love this feature" if you know you won't ever use it. I bought one likethat and took it back, the next day, knowing full well I wouldn't ever use it. I bought the cheaper one and haven't regretted the choice. The simpler the better! I hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There isn't much difference between them any more. Last two I just bought the cheapest one in the store that reversed and zig-zagged. They lasted long enough for me to feel I'd gotten my money's worth. Currently have about a 10 year old Kenmore (I usually don't like Sears products) that runs just fine, and the last one was a Brother.

MANY years ago I bought a used old-timey Singer, heavy black metal, for $25, and sewed my entire wardrobe on it for 25 years. (Really -- I did buy jeans and underwear, nothing else.) They don't make 'em like that any more.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  4. minniechicks

May 31, 2010
    Phenix City, AL
    thank guys. i am so stumped on what to tell her. she is thing about a machine that does embroiry too. vikinging or brother. not so sure. [​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I bought a Janome (the maufacture that makes Kenmore...they are identical except logo...Kenmore's are Sears exclusive). I LOVE it!

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Have her visit a Bernina store. I have sewn on a White, a Singer, and a Brother. Then I got a Bernina. So glad I did and now I won't sew on anything else if I can help it.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I love my Bernina. I also have a friend that loves hers too. The Bernina's are made in Switzerland. They have an all metal motors and other parts. They are more expensive, but worth every bit of it.

8. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Have a Viking I quilt with. Really love this machine. Has more stitch choices then you could use in a lifetime. Worth every penny. Had for 9 years and have had no issues. Would buy it all over again.[​IMG] And you can wind bobbins through the threaded needle. (which is awesome, because at my age ( nearing 50), the less you have to thread needles, the better.)

9. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi, Have your friend go into a sewing center that sells everything that interest her. Tell her to write a list of what she is looking for. Then test drive. I have both Viking and Bernina. I LOVE both brands and use them for different things. I use my Viking for embroidery and the Bernina for sewing clothes and projects. Good Luck to her.

Nancy

10. minniechicks

May 31, 2010
    Phenix City, AL
    [​IMG] I have seen vicking and i personally love them. i have sewn on one a time or two. love them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by