sewing machines

minniechicks

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Phenix City, AL
Please help. I have a friend wanting to buy a sewing machine. She has one but she wants to upgrade. She does quilting and is looking at several singer model machines. she has also looked a viking. I dont know a whole lot about the machines, so i told her i would ask yall. thanks minnie:barnie:he:he:th

I have two singers and one white. Would buy a Singer again. I have one of their quilting (sewing) machines and it works very well for what I want it for. The other has a slant needle which is a small thing but it sews much better than a straight up and down needle. I looked for features that I use now not ones that I may use later. Don't let the salesman tell "you you'll love this feature" if you know you won't ever use it. I bought one likethat and took it back, the next day, knowing full well I wouldn't ever use it. I bought the cheaper one and haven't regretted the choice. The simpler the better! I hope this helps.
smile.png

There isn't much difference between them any more. Last two I just bought the cheapest one in the store that reversed and zig-zagged. They lasted long enough for me to feel I'd gotten my money's worth. Currently have about a 10 year old Kenmore (I usually don't like Sears products) that runs just fine, and the last one was a Brother.

MANY years ago I bought a used old-timey Singer, heavy black metal, for $25, and sewed my entire wardrobe on it for 25 years. (Really -- I did buy jeans and underwear, nothing else.) They don't make 'em like that any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have her visit a Bernina store. I have sewn on a White, a Singer, and a Brother. Then I got a Bernina. So glad I did and now I won't sew on anything else if I can help it.

I love my Bernina. I also have a friend that loves hers too. The Bernina's are made in Switzerland. They have an all metal motors and other parts. They are more expensive, but worth every bit of it.

Have a Viking I quilt with. Really love this machine. Has more stitch choices then you could use in a lifetime. Worth every penny. Had for 9 years and have had no issues. Would buy it all over again.
smile.png
And you can wind bobbins through the threaded needle. (which is awesome, because at my age ( nearing 50), the less you have to thread needles, the better.)

Hi, Have your friend go into a sewing center that sells everything that interest her. Tell her to write a list of what she is looking for. Then test drive. I have both Viking and Bernina. I LOVE both brands and use them for different things. I use my Viking for embroidery and the Bernina for sewing clothes and projects. Good Luck to her.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom