Sewing Peeps -- I need help!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Blisschick, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm having problems with my sewing machine. I'm trying to hem up some jeans for my shorty-short daughter, but I can't seem to get the tension right. I'm using a jeans needle and some heavy weight thread. For some reason, I keep getting locks on the underside. My machine manual tells me this is because there isn't enough tension on the spool, but I have the knob turned all the way up on 9 and it's still happening. I even tried adjusting the tension on the bobbin, but that didn't do anything for the problem. I've run the spool thread under the bobbin tension thingy (if you use a machine, you know what I'm talking about) that is next to the slot for the thread, but that only worked temporarily. I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Did you make sure u put the bobbin in right??? If the bobbin is in backwards sometimes it'll do what you're talking about....

And I've been sewing for quite a while, but the whole spool thingy whatever has me stumped....maybe you're thinking of the other thingy, or the one over there.......

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yeah, I checked that, too, but it didn't make any difference.

For now, I've broken out the antique portable Singer. Let's hope the thing doesn't go up in flames before I get her jeans hemmed! [​IMG]

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmmm....I can't think of anything else. Usually when I had a problem like that I would just re-thread the machine over and over and eventually the problem would go away. What kind of machine do you have???? I personally prefer the old machines, the new one's don't quite cut it. I got a 1962 dressmaker for $10 at a garage sale, complete with the tacky lead paint....I love that machine!!!

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    It's a Brother, about 12 years old. I don't do a whole lot of sewing, so it's still in very good condition. It was a gift to me from my husband back when we couldn't afford a lot, so I know it's a cheap machine. The antique Singer is actually my best friend's, but she's got two others and has probably forgotten I even have it. It could use a new power cord, but I haven't bothered to look one up. I looked the machine up, and it was made in 1950. It works better than my new one!

I'm beginning to think it's the thread. It was getting stuck in the foot hole and binding up. [​IMG]

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Okay, the sun has come up and I'm still one leg behind. Any new insight into the problem?

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have the same kind of problem with an old singer that was a present to me. The thread tensioner just isn't that reliable/ consistant. I play with it until I can get it right. Yes sometimes even when it is tesioned all the way it is still way too loose, so I have to twiddle it back and forth until I feel an appropriate amount of tension.

8. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Well honey I personally would of called it a good try and hand sewed the hem by now. Good luck

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Quote:Psssst...I hate hemming anything! [​IMG]

I'm kind of committed to finishing the other side to make it consistent. I could get away with it on the other pair.

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My old brother used to be rather sensitive on the bobbin tension. I finally got rid of it. If the machine has not been properly cleaned and oiled in a while, it can cause this. A dull needle or one that is too small can too. Also, I always found it to be helpful to have the exact type of thread in the bobbin as in the top (if it is a self adjusting bobbin). I hated my old brother machine. It is pretty common for some older machines to get a bit off balance in its mechanisms. You may have to take it to a shop to be cleaned and adjusted. I would first try giving it a good cleaning at home and get all of the lint out and oil it. Make sure you are using quality thread. Cheap thread that leaves excess lint kills more machines than anything else. I would also make sure the needle is brand new. They get dull rather quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by