Sex and Breed ID help

jtvread

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
Hello all,

Newbie here, I have 4 girls(I hope) just turned 16 weeks and I am hoping to have eggs soon.

Thoughts on sex and Breed are appreciated. I was told they are black sex link, Americauna, black cochin and RIR.

TIA :)

Production Red - pullet (the "RIR)
Easter Egger - pullet (the "Americauana)
Black Sex Link - pullet
and - does the black bird (sold as cochin) have featehred legs/feet?

Last edited:
Hi.

Yes the black cochin has feathers on her feet :) so in your opinion they all appear to be hens? And the Americauna is an Easter Egger? If so I suppose I need to do some research on those. Would you mind pointing out the major difference.

Thanks,
Jen

Hi.

Yes the black cochin has feathers on her feet
smile.png
so in your opinion they all appear to be hens? And the Americauna is an Easter Egger? If so I suppose I need to do some research on those. Would you mind pointing out the major difference.

Thanks,
Jen

I agree with Ol Grey Mare's identification. Ameraucanas are a true breed that conform to color standards with muffs, a beard, pea comb, and slate blue legs which lays only blue eggs. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue (olive, green, beige, and sometimes even pale pink). Hatcheries and feed stores often and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas (frequently misspelled Americana or Americauna). Because Easter Eggers are hybrids they do not conform to any standards and will not breed true. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers. There is nothing wrong with EEs, and in fact they will frequently outlay true Ameraucanas. Our EEs are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom