Sex and breed of chicks, any clues??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Helen29, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Helen29

Helen29 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong, I usually do....
    This is my first year of being a chicken owner and I realize that there is no sure way of knowing, but I would love to have any opinions on what sex my chicks are. Also any info in breed would be good I think I know but I'm not 100%.
    This is my first (is this a crested black polish?, please correct me if I've written this wrong), it was hatched about 7 weeks ago it doesn't have a comb (yet) but does have teeny wattles, also I have noticed that it's black feather have taken on a petrol green sheen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My second has wattles with no comb and was also hatched 7 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realize this is looking is looking very male, which is such a shame as I won't be able to keep it if it is a roo. I've been reading around and it seems that the wattles are a sure sign of sex at this age in a polish rooster, is this always the rule? It such a lovely, friendly, calm chick.

I also have this chick, bought from my local nursery with another chick two weeks ago. I was told that they were eight weeks old, seen as the new chicks were smaller than my, then, five weeks old polish I gave an uneducated guess at them being more like 4 weeks old. Making this chick 6 weeks?? I have noticed it is growing a tuft on it's head can someone please tell me what this is and what it indicates?

[​IMG]

And finally I have a pic of my four babies:

[​IMG]

I think I have two (crested??) polish, a blue maran and a light sussex. If anyone one knows better I would appreciate some input!!

Thanks in advance for your time x

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Your polish look like hens to me. I don't see anything on your chickens that screams rooster [​IMG]

3. Helen29

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    Thank you, fingers crossed!!

(I feel really bad saying that, poor feathered men, but I can't keep them if they aren't pullets)

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Same here, there's a good chance they're all pullets! [​IMG] Those topknots look nice and smooth rather than spikey.

5. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, the polish look like pullets [​IMG]

6. Helen29

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    That's lovely, thanks so much for your time xx

7. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    I dunno... That white polish has some biggest I've seen on a polish that age, I'd say roo on him, and pullets for the rest!

8. Helen29

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    Yeah I think that too, but I'm hoping not. Anyway time will tell. Does anyone know the breeds, have I got them right?

9. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    The first is a white crested black polish, the second is a splash polish, but I have no clue as to the third. [​IMG] The slash polish looks like a roo with those wattles.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. Helen29

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    No I'm not sure of the third either, I was thinking blue Maran, but I'm no expert. It's starting to grow a tuft on it's head (it's grown more in the past couple of days), could this be a male sign? I'm just thinking that the male seem to get all the fancy bits!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by