Sex and breed on my little chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chloe oxman, Dec 29, 2013.

1. chloe oxman

chloe oxman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    #1 Bought this chicken really young. Was told it was a lavender silkie or something. I wouldn't have a clue. Just getting into the chicken stuff now, so I'm still learning what's what. I have no idea if it's a girl or boy. With my luck it will be a boy. Has some blue patch thing on the sides of its head. Is about 2-3 months old. Hasn't crowed or anything, it still "beeps" like a baby. Don't know what I'm gonna do if it turns out to be a boy.

#2 Also have a black chicken which I'm pretty sure is a hen but can anyone confirm it? Any ideas on the breed?
    Photos aren't the best because they wouldn't stay still. Black one wanted to know what the camera was and the lavender one didn't care but it's so fluffy you can't even see it's face. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I would say they are both hens. I hope that's good news! The black chicken looks like it could be a Jersey Giant or a Black Australorp. Do you think you could get a full body shot of the black one??? That would probably help. As you already know, the fluffy one is a Lavender Silkie.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    85 % sure they are pullets.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    how old is the black one? the silkie is not lavender in color and at the moment looks like a pullet

5. chloe oxman

chloe oxman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG] black one was hatched around late September. She is about 4-5 weeks older then the silkie.

6. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    The lavendar silkie is most likely a cross between a partridge silkie and a lavender due to the uneveness in colour. The black one is a cockerel I think and is a crossbred. It is not heavy enough to be an australorp. The black eyes are a charecteristic of langshans however the bird itself does not look like one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by