Sex and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melisany, Nov 2, 2016.

1. melisany

melisany New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    Hello everyone. Someone left this chicken in a box, in front of my building where I work. I took it to my neighborhood garden where it ate and drank water (away from the other chickens). The problem is I don't know what breed it is or sex or even age. I THINK it's a Barred Rock Chicken. Please help :/[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It's a little fella. I'd guess maybe around 3 months (ish, give or take a month [​IMG])

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mixed breed cockerel.

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2.

~Alex

5. melisany

melisany New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    Hi, not sure what "X2" means?

6. melisany

melisany New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    Would you say it's male or female?

7. melisany

melisany New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is another picture

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It's a young male.

It superficially looks like a barred rock but it is not. It probably is a barred rock crossed with? Possibly it is a male black sex link. Those are bred by breeding usually a RIR rooster over Barred rock hens for brown egg layers because this cross produces chicks you can visually sex at hatch. The male chicks hatch out black with a white head spot on top of the head and grow out barred. The female chicks are born black with no white head spot and grow out mostly black with some brown on neck and breast.

here's a link to a black sex link adult rooster

http://www.backroadsliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/BLACK-SEX-LINK-ROOSTER.jpg

This chick will grow up colored much like him or with even more white areas on neck and back.

However with history being a total mystery, it is also possible it is someone's backyard crossing of a barred rock with a ??? the barring is dominant so it will show up in a cross. The reason it's not a barred rock is because it already shows too much white on the neck and head.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry for not being clear - male

10. melisany

melisany New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    Ok thanks everyone. Not sure what to do with him, like I said he was dropping off at my place of work. I live in the city so I hope I am find a farm who would want him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by