Sex and Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Souperchicken, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    I have 12 six weeks old chicks that all have the same father(a white Leghorn). The mothers are either RIR, Wyandotte, Americuana, or Buff Orpington. I'm having trouble figuring out what gender 3 of them are. Also any input on breed would be welcomed.
    Tell me what you think?

Chick #1- Teriyaki
    I'm guessing its mother was the silver laced Wyandotte? I really can't tell the gender. He/she has a larger comb than some of the other pullets, yet smaller than some of the cockerels. Looks like there are tiny light colored wattles growing in.

[​IMG]
    He/she is the darker chick with its head down, with less comb.
    [​IMG]

Chick #2-Cinnamon
    I think its mother is a RIR.
    Also has a larger comb than the pullets and smaller than the cockerels. It has a little bit of a wattle on one side of it's beak, but it looks yellow.
    [​IMG]
    It is the chick on the right in this picture. I'm comparing it to another chick that I think is RIR that looks more like a rooster.
    [​IMG]

Chick #3-Pepper
    I don't know what breed the mother is on this one. Her baby fuzz is gray on the roots and blond on the ends. I'm leaning toward a pullet on her. No wattles, but I'm suspecting it might be an Americauna cross and won't grow any.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Im a little on the fence with the first one but would say girl
    ANd i think all the rest are girls as well !

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I think all are girls but the one to the right in the 2nd pic. I'm not sure about the crosses, but I'd say you're pretty correct.

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wattles are the things that hang down from a chicken's beak/neck area. Waddle is what a duck does when walking.

All look like pullets except for the bird on the right in the second photo, and the bird on the left in the 4th photo.

5. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    Thanks for the input. I hope they end up being girls!

mikarod-Yikes! I'm glad you mentioned that so I can fix it. Can I blame it on being up really late last night?

6. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    obviously i know nothing about ducks and am not trying to insult you, but the last chick has a duck looking head....obviously no bill....but just around the eyes and stuff... VERY CUTE! (shhh that ones my favorite)

7. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Why certainly!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by