Sex aruacana x maran chick

chick112121

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2018
Hi I have just hatched a aruacana x maran chick any ideas what sex it is or when I can sex it.

Attachments

• IMG-20200607-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20200607-WA0002.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 16
Is it colour like it's mother or father. It may be that it is same sex as its coloured parent. Unless both parents are same colour and then I'd say you might have to wait untill it older to tell. Cute baby All the same🤩

Is it colour like it's mother or father. It may be that it is same sex as its coloured parent. Unless both parents are same colour and then I'd say you might have to wait untill it older to tell. Cute baby All the same🤩
No idea what colour mum and dad where as I got the eggs from ebay

I have never heard this theory before. I doubt the veracity.

Is it colour like it's mother or father. It may be that it is same sex as its coloured parent. Unless both parents are same colour and then I'd say you might have to wait untill it older to tell.

For sexlinks, it is close to true:
--gold father with silver mother gives gold daughters and silver sons.
--barred mother with not-barred father gives barred sons and not-barred daughters.
--chocolate father with not-chocolate mother gives chocolate daughters and not-chocolate sons.

For any other crossings, it does not work. Even with the genes that can make sexlinks, if you switch which parent is which color, it no longer works.

Hi I have just hatched a aruacana x maran chick any ideas what sex it is or when I can sex it.

If you do not know which parent was what color, then you will have to wait until it's old enough to show a red comb and wattles (male, age 3-10 weeks), or maybe a bit longer to be sure (female.)

If you have multiple chicks, sexing them is often easier: when some have bright red combs and wattles and other do not, the red-combs are males and the not-red are females. (The differences are much more obvious when you've got both kinds there to see at the same time.)

For sexlinks, it is close to true:
--gold father with silver mother gives gold daughters and silver sons.
--barred mother with not-barred father gives barred sons and not-barred daughters.
--chocolate father with not-chocolate mother gives chocolate daughters and not-chocolate sons.

For any other crossings, it does not work. Even with the genes that can make sexlinks, if you switch which parent is which color, it no longer works.

yeah I get this - I don’t think this is what the first reply was referring to though:)

I assumed the person who posted the first reply had probably heard something about sexlinks, but didn't remember the details clearly.

Nope, it's true. The mum will pass her color to her male offspring, and the father will pass his to his female offspring. Unless they are the same color, in which all chicks hatch out looking the same. And if both parents are mixes, then most of the color is muddled and the system doesn't work as well.

Back
Top Bottom