Sex & Breed Help, Please...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mangled, Mar 9, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

This is one of my chicks with the pecked bum. I know it is a Wyandotte of some type, I ordered a Wyandotte assortment.
    They were hatched 2/19/08, so not quite 4 weeks, but what a comb, huh?
    I ordered 28 and received 34. [​IMG] So possibly 6 roos. According to Ideal, the extra chicks were pulled from the Wyandotte assortment straight run.

The pics are from the cell, so not top quality, sorry.
    Comb pic...
    [​IMG]
    Here is a feather pic:
    [​IMG]

Thanks-
    Em

edited for poor spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That sure is quite a comb for such a youngster. You are probably making a correct assumption.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That's a baby roo if I've ever seen one. Hotwing, my BLRW roo, looked just like that when he was that age.
    As far as the type of Wyandotte, I'm not so sure. You may be able to figure it out on www.feathersite.com.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Also, just so you know.....the wyondottes are not supposed to have that type of comb, so it might be something else. I have 2 SLW's and one has a flat comb, and the other has a pointy comb. Someone here told me that hatchery birds sometimes come out that way.....but that breed is not supposed to have that type of comb.....so its a true mystery chick!!!

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my goodness!!

That never even occured to me. Indeed, my other SLW have the comb that is smaller, what, a rose or pea comb?

Wow, now I'm wondering if they're EE's. So much for Ideal saying they pulled them from a Wyandotte straight run, LOL.

I would be pleased with some more EE's. My EE roo is stunning, as is the hen.

Anyone else with any other insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, everyone. BYC rocks.
    Em

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    ROOSTER!

I hate when they get their feathers picked. I swear, you can give them all the room in the world, and there is always ONE that gets picked on!

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    That looks like my mystery chick from Ideal (except mine is 11 days old and has no comb yet). I ordered Black Jersey Giant eggs, and my mystery chick hatched out of one. I don't know what it is, but it's not a giant. It looks like ideal must have quite a surplus of whatever breed it is!!

8. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    looks like a baby phoenix to me....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by