Sex & Breed on these Orchlen's chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DarkWolf, Apr 13, 2009.

1. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Well, the wing feathers are almost all out, so I thought I'd give it a shot to ID and sex the ones I'm not 100% sure on.....

Actually... I'm not 100% sure of the sex of any of them..

Please take a look and see if I'm right on the breed and if you can guesstimate the sex.

Thanks again for any help on verifying these! [​IMG]

-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-
    Most likely "Golden Comets", yes? #1 looks roo and #2 look hen to me, but I base that off the color differances, so not really sure at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dot: A "Silver Laced Wyandotte" Seems to be a hen, to me.

[​IMG]

Ralph: Some had suggested a "Cornish X". It's larger than the others, but that might be due to age diff. I'm 90% sure it's a roo.

[​IMG]

Emilia: A "Golden Polish" [hen?]

[​IMG]

Buff: Supposed to be a verified "Buff Orpington Roo" Ignore the blue on the head. It's just an ID dye that's not going away any time soon. Came from the Co-op.

[​IMG]

The Twins: "Barred Rock" [hens?]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Was the buff's dot green? I ordered some buffs that were male and they all came with green dots on their head...

3. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I'm pretty sure it was blue, but may have been green.. Didn't pay that much attention to it. My understanding is that they're local chicks, so don't think there is any correlation.

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I'm really bad at breeds. I'm 100% sure the Barred Rock #2 is a barred rock.

And I'm 99% sure you got the SLW right...

The BO is a roo.

5. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Kewl... I figured the Bared Rocks were what I thought, as well as the SLW and BO (including sex of the BO). I'm really hoping that I don't end up with more than one roo.

Got to say, the ones I tagged as "Golden Comets" and the "Cornish X", I'm not sure that's what they are at all... I'd been pouring over images of chicks for weeks trying to pin them down. The white one was white since we got it and the others started out a really straight buff color with only a little darkening. Now their feathers are really starting to go brown and red. Kinda wild.

6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Comets get red/brown and that's what they look like to me. Both pullets if they're comets [​IMG]

7. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Sweet! I'd have hated to part with any of those... For that matter, I hate to part with any of them.

The only one I'm still clueless on then is the big white one. Not a clue what it is and not a clue as to what sex it is.

It's one of the friendliest ones we have though, so hoping it's not a roo... Hurm... If it is though, still might keep it.

8. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    The "Barred Rocks" really are barred rocks [​IMG]

looks exactly like mine, the first one does anyway [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by