1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex/Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samantha LW, Nov 12, 2015.

1. samantha LW

samantha LW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    Georgia
    We went to a live animal auction (BIG mistake it was horrible) so I got these two ducks which we consider rescues. I have no idea how old, if they are the same age, breed or sex any help would be greatly appreciated. The smaller duck had some of it's tail feathers pulled out while I was out of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome! I'm not an expert, but they look like Muscovy ducks to be - that's the limit of my inspiration, but others will help! [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Muscovy, Looks like they are young maybe 4-5 months and also looks like you have a pair. Thanks for rescuing them I cannot bring myself to go to a live animal auction you were brave. Lovely ducks and my favorite as you can tell by my sig.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. samantha LW

Nov 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Thanks! I was hoping one was female. Yay duck eggs! The auction was a mistake someone told me I should go and take the kids. The first sentence out of my nine year old daughter's mouth was "wow, mom, could you imagine if we treated our chickens like that? They would be ******!" We will never go back there it was truley horrific.The three of us had more teeth than the other hundred or so people combined.

5. samantha LW

Nov 1, 2015
    Georgia
    ******!=very angry.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At least you were able to save these 2 and they are so pretty and I am sure you will enjoy them both. Drakes can get hormonal when they get to breeding age but we can help you through it so stick around and there is a Muscovy thread dedicated just to them and those of us who love the breed. So come by and visit.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by