sex by color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krobin04, Aug 4, 2010.

1. krobin04

krobin04 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    We have 3 wk old welsummers, and some were born dark chocolate almost with the blackish stripes, and some were born light tan with the black stripes. All have the dark back- they look like chipmunks to us! I read on someone's post that the hens are actually more colorful at hatching, and the roosters less so, then the roos change as they age. TRUE??? I am curious because I have to start thinking about who is going to go where. Can anyone tell me how to check vents for sex, how does that work?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi there! Congrats on your Wellies!

Do you have photo's that you can post of the little cuties?
    There is also a Welsummer thread for information and sharing your Wellies over in Breeds, Genetics and Showing. Lots of great peeps and lots of info.

Here are a couple of my babies from last year....pullet on the left and cockerel on the right. Pullets have a more defined "V" on the head, and cockerels have a fuzzy or muted "V", also you can't see it in the first photo but pullets will have eyeliner and cockerels will not but they may have a slight smudge but it will not be as dark or as defined as a pullet. I think you may be able to see some eyeliner in the second photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. krobin04

krobin04 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    OK let me try to get these pix to come over!!! Can't figure out how to copy them from my uploads to here, but please look on my page. Casserole's chicks at a few days old, I need to get new pix, but they haven't really changed, just bigger.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    Well, all I can go by is our baby Welsummers...they were all girls and they all had a very dark v shape on top of their heads. I noticed that some of yours do and some don't ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by