1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sex change?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeburr, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jeburr

jeburr Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    Ohio
    We have what we thought were all hens in one coop. Just recently, though, one has gotten much bigger than the others, the comb and wattle are bright red, and it's a little more aggressive. (It's a Splash Cochin.) Is this possible, or did we just get a roo in the mix by accident?

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Sex changes in birds are possible, even later in their lives, so I wouldn't discount it . . . but I think its rare and if they are all very young, it might just be a late bloomer(?).

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It could be a late bloomer...Cochins are a heavy breed so they mature later.
    A hen can "change sex" if it got an infection in its ovary. the ovary will stop producing estrogen and start producing testosterone...the hen may start crowing and mounting her buddies, and stop laying eggs.

4. jeburr

jeburr Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks to both of you. I've heard of chickens changing from hens to roosters, but I think you're right. This one is just a late bloomer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by