Sex determination question

mermaidgoat

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Vermont
I have a mix of birds -

RIR, golden reds, buff orpington, black sexlinks?, easter eggers (1 dark, 1 light).

When and more importantly, how, will I be able to tell which are males? Obviously, if the black sexlinks I have are truly black sexlinks, then I already know that they are gals.
smile.png

Last edited:
Golden red what? Sounds like another sexlink. Is it? RIRs can be sexed about four weeks when the males get the red combs and their legs are like tree trunks, usually. Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas with pea combs can be sexed by the males having all three rows of "peas" visible and the comb being very wide. Females' combs usually only show the center ridge and stay yellow much longer. That varies, some are obvious at three or four weeks, some take longer. Best method is the "wait and see" method.

Quote:
I'm really not sure what the golden reds are - the black ones and the "Golden Reds" I got from a feed store. The black ones were tagged as Barred Rocks, which they aren't, and the others were tagged simply "Golden Reds".

So no clue there!! They look exactly like my RIR right now (and are the same age), except their heads have the slightest yellow tinge to them and the RIR's heads don't.

I have had this same question. My BR look like all puttets as do most of my Buff Orps. I do have 1 BO that has the slightest touch of pink starting in it's comb and itty bitty wattles starting. Going on 5 weeks. The packing peanuts are RIR same age. Only 2 or 3 have legs like tree truck and the start of wattles. They were males included for warmth it says on packing slip. Some are smallish no comb growth or wattles yet? Just late bloomers? What do you guys think. By the way sorry about the hijack.

Back
Top Bottom