Sex id help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buffslat, Jul 8, 2011.

1. buffslat

buffslat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I have some chicks I got this spring. One is a Barred Rock the other is a RIR. The RIR is 13 weeks the Rock is 12 weeks. I thought both were female, but my Rock was doing a poor attempt at crowing this morning. I have an older Buff Orp and spent a little time trying to introduce them this morning. My RIR chased her a bit and then she laid down and the RIR mounted her and pulled the feathers on the back of her neck. The Rock did something that was like that, but it was more like standing on the buffs head with no feather pulling.
    This seems very much like ale behavior to me. I've never had chickens or been around chickens in my life.
    I have some pics I can post if that will help? Head, neck and wing shots. They can be seen at http://photobucket.com/slatpics

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    In my opinion it is a young ROO at 12 weeks with a full comb and wattle. ROO no doubt about it thats when my Blask sexlink started crowing had our hunches prior to that but when the crow came yup yup hes a ROO I bet his tail feathers are starting to roll over now aswell.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The two birds in your pictures are roosters.
    and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Now that I see them on both on computer yup yup you got 2 roos good luck

5. buffslat

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    The RIR feathers are rolling over, but the Rock has a tail that stands up and looks like my Buff hen.

6. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Roo's... BR is way lighter thasn my hens, and the comb is way bigger, at that age so a roo... same with the RIR... another nice young ROO!

7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Those are both boys. [​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both roosters, sorry. [​IMG]

9. buffslat

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    As disappointing as it is, especially since the rock was sold in a pullet run, I still enjoy these two.
    Thanks for the help. Since these two have been raised together will I have to split them up down the road or will they get along together?
    Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by