1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex Link again

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jerwanman, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jerwanman

jerwanman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Sex Link again
    Can I cross a Redisland Red with a Cuckoo Maran hen and have sex links. Both are pure bread birds.

Thanks for you time.
    Jerry

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I looked up what Cuckoo Marans chicks look like and are similar to Barred Rock chicks with that white spot on head. As for a BLack Star coming from a Barred Rock hen the males have the white spot like a BR chick and female Black Star chicks don't. I've got some pics of my chicks around here somewhere...

Regardless, any cross of heritege will be easier to sex as the male chicks will look more like hen and females like roo. A true sex link (I prefer to call em Star) is a no brainer situation when looking at freashly hatched chicks- Males will be white in case of a cross with RIR roo to white hen or in case of BR hen will have the white spot on head.

Think I have that right [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yes they will be a Black Sex-link.
    The chicks will be either Black with a White spot on there head (cockerels) or all Black (pullets).
    For the most part most any color Male over a Barred Hen will, "create" a Black Sex-Link.

Here is a link here on BYC that talks about Sex-links and how to, "create" them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can get sexlinks out of many breed roosters with barred hens. I got sexlinks out of Silver Phoenix rooster with BR hens, for example.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep Chris and Cynthia are right. And FYI the roo would be called a Rhode Island Red, not a Red Island Red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by