Chirping
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Hi all.
smile.png
Happy new year and all that jazz!
woot.gif
frow.gif

My flock are coping with the winter, all happy little critters! We are in the process of getting two or three ladies for my exchequer leghorn x cuckoo maran.
A bit of a background to my barring question..
He was born a sex link with the white spot on his head,which to me made him seem the special (more so because we knew hw was a roo from day one)
hide.gif

But since then he has turned into such a sweet roo that we have decided to keep him!
ya.gif

We have been looking at:
1)cuckoo maran hens
2) Plymouth rock
3)various other barred breeds..

Just wondered what you guys think. what would complement his barring?. And also if the exchequer was to mix with him again would they still be sex link?.
Thank in advance for replies!
smile.png

I don't think mixed with anything (your roo) will create sexlinks.

If you are just wanting more barred chicks then any of the listed breeds would work. There are also Barred Leghorns out there. Also, Ideal sells a Barred Holland that could be a good cross.

Yes, there are:
Barred Leghorns,
Barred Plymouth Rocks
Cuckoo Marans
Cuckoo Faverolles
Dominiques
Barred Hollands
North Holland Blues
Barred Copper Marans
Cambars (they look nice, but far different from barred)
and of course the BSL is one-half barred
wink.png

You won't get sexlinks from him again, breeding him to the barred hens you listed will give you all barred males and half barred and half non barred females.

Quote:
I thought you wouldn't get sex links the second time around, But the females would be able to be sexed when they fist begin to feather out no or am i picking it up wrong?

Quote:
Thanks!
Think i will go for the cuckoo marans or Plymouth rocks mainly because i know they have a lovely temperament.
Will let yea now how i get on and what i decide, hopefully chicks by the end of summer
wink.png

Quote:
I thought you wouldn't get sex links the second time around, But the females would be able to be sexed when they fist begin to feather out no or am i picking it up wrong?

Nope, other than the non barred females, the barred females wouldn't be able to be sexed accurately buy feathering because
half of the barred males will only get one copy of barring which will be the same as what the barred females have, so they will look the same and won't be able to be sexed if the autosexing ability of barred breeds is what you are refering to, that only works when using a pure homozygous barred roo on barred hens, your sexlink roo is heteroygous barred (hasonly one copy)

Back
Top Bottom