Sex-link?? Buff Orphington Roo and Barred Rock Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LindsaySinai, Sep 7, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I heard that combo would be sex linked...but I'm still not even sure what that means. From the pictures I saw the roos would look more like the barred rock and the hens would be black and gold. I figured the black and gold chicks I got were from my aunts easter eggers(all the chicks are from her wide variety of hens) but after seeing pictures of the Orph/Barred Rock hens I'm not so sure. So here's the pics at 5 weeks....
    Im 99% positive this is a roo
    [​IMG]

This is the other one that according to what I read would be a roo too but it's comb is nowhere as big and its more of a yellow then pink
    [​IMG]

And this is what I believe the hens would look like??
    [​IMG]

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    The barred are roos and the gold & black are girls... [​IMG]

3. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Does the black one look like it have another type of mom at all?? It just doesnt seem like a rooster at all compared to the other one.

4. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    Looks like you didnt get any sexlinks out of your hatch. If the barred one has a larger comb than the black and gold ones then it will most likely be a roo, but could also be a faster maturing hen as well. They are much easier to tell in a couple of weeks. I hope this helps!

5. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:I'm a little confused...I don't know what all this sex link stuff means?? How can you tell if there are sex links?? Sorry, I'm new at this:(

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    those are sexlinks. there is somebody on BYC that breed sexlinks using those same breeds. its possible you have a slow maturing rooster.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The barred males get the barring from the mother, so the barred ones are cockerels. Pullets will not be barred. Yes, they are sex links, IF the Buff Orpington was the rooster and the BR was the hen. If the rooster was barred, both sexes of chicks should be barred in some fashion.

***psst! No "h" in Orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by