Sex-link?? Buff Orphington Roo and Barred Rock Hen

LindsaySinai

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
San Diego
I heard that combo would be sex linked...but I'm still not even sure what that means. From the pictures I saw the roos would look more like the barred rock and the hens would be black and gold. I figured the black and gold chicks I got were from my aunts easter eggers(all the chicks are from her wide variety of hens) but after seeing pictures of the Orph/Barred Rock hens I'm not so sure. So here's the pics at 5 weeks....
Im 99% positive this is a roo
96519_img_20110907_173340.jpg

This is the other one that according to what I read would be a roo too but it's comb is nowhere as big and its more of a yellow then pink
96519_img_20110907_173524.jpg

And this is what I believe the hens would look like??
96519_img_20110907_173502.jpg

Quote:
Does the black one look like it have another type of mom at all?? It just doesnt seem like a rooster at all compared to the other one.

Looks like you didnt get any sexlinks out of your hatch. If the barred one has a larger comb than the black and gold ones then it will most likely be a roo, but could also be a faster maturing hen as well. They are much easier to tell in a couple of weeks. I hope this helps!

Quote:
I'm a little confused...I don't know what all this sex link stuff means?? How can you tell if there are sex links?? Sorry, I'm new at this:(

The barred males get the barring from the mother, so the barred ones are cockerels. Pullets will not be barred. Yes, they are sex links, IF the Buff Orpington was the rooster and the BR was the hen. If the rooster was barred, both sexes of chicks should be barred in some fashion.

***psst! No "h" in Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom