Sex Link Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jloftin60, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    What type of rooster and what type of hen do they breed to come up
    with a RED sex link and a Black sex link? Is it true that they are a hybrid
    and if you breed a SL roo to a SL hen, you don't get a SL chick?

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    no two sexlinks don't make a sex link. sounds silly huh. if you take a rir roo and a slw hen you can make a red sex link. if you take a barred rock hen and a rir roo you can make a black sex link. the roo has to be rir or nhr. there are different hens you can use for making reds.

3. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    We have a Red Sexlink. She's one of the sweetest hens among our flock. On the sweetness factor she's only outdone by the Buff Orpingtons.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Both those sex links use a RIR as the sire. The dame for a RSL is a Leghorn; for the BSL it's a Barred Rock.

And correct, breeding two sex links together does not yield a sex linked offspring, or even predictable breeding results.

5. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Let me make sure I have it. A Rhode Island Red Rooster and a white leghorn for a Red Sex Link. A Rhode Island Rooster bred with a Barred Rock
    hen. Is that correct? If you breed two SL, what happens?

John

6. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    this is from the feathersite.
    Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

7. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    And me so arrogant that I thought I knew a lot if not everything.. This is a totally new thing for me. Wow... a few days on this site and Ive enriched my intelligence or my knowledge anyway.. thanks so much BYC. I will be reading more on this yey!

8. bmrin1

bmrin1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    North Manchester, IN
    Just a quick question on this subject. Is it possible to produce sexlinks from a buff orpington crossed with anything?
    Brian

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, a Buff Orpington will work if he's the male and an appropriate female is used.

I have a a pair of BSL from a Buff Orp male with a Barred Rock. They are gorgeous and a lot heavier than their barred mother. [​IMG]

10. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    jloftin60 -- I have the male(he is white) and female red sex link and I have hatched several good layers but you do not get sex link chickens, mainly white. I had a slw roo and red sex link hens and got white chickens and whit and black chickens but not sex linked. Nice layers though..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by