sex link chicks--what would I come up with?

madornato

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Newnan, GA
If I cross a RIR roo with a barred rock hen, I'll get black sex link chicks, right? Will I be able to tell them at 1-day old, and if so, what coloring would I look for in the pullet and what coloring would I look for in the cockerel? I also saw in another BYC forum a reference to crossing a RIR roo with a white leghorn hen (with silver traits). How would I distinguish the sexing of those, and would the sexed pullets end up laying white or brown eggs? I'm assuming white. What would you call those? Would you get sex linked chicks if you crossed a RIR rooster with a black autralorp? All this sexing stuff is so very confusing.

Thanks for the help.

You can cross any Solid colored(non barred) roo (though most use RIRs) with a Barred hen and get black sexlinks, the pullets will be solid black, waybe with a red face, and will grow up to be black.The male chicks will be greyish black with a white spot on his head and will grow up to be silver/barred.

You can get a sexlink from a RIR X White Leghorn cross only if the hen has silver genes and is not dominamt white. Female chicks should be red and males should be white. And they should lay brown eggs. There are many different names for them. However if the hen is dominant white, all the chicks will be white with black dots on them.

You should not get a sexlink from a RIR X Black Aust.

These are some black sexlinks I got from a Buff Orp roo on Barred Rock hens.

37373_100_4367.jpg

37373_100_4370.jpg

Last edited:
So, Rareroo, the bottom picture is of a cockerel and the top one of a pullet from your combination of buff orp roo and barred rock hen? Do you have a name for this cross or do you just sell them as sex-linked chicks...or do you even sell them? Thanks for the help.

Also, Rareroo, how would I know if my white leghorns had silver traits, anyway? Would I just have to try out the cross with a RIR roo to see what would happen?

which cross would result in the white dot on the head--the RIR roo with a barred rock hen?

Most solid coloured males (not dominant white) on barred females.

how would I know if my white leghorns had silver traits, anyway?

Many white leghorns are silver but most are also dominant white. Rhode Island whites are a silver that would work for silver gold sex links.​

For your first question. I don't have a name for them, I just called them black sexlinks but I made sure customers knew they were fron a Buff roo instead of a RIR. My Buff roo that I was using was haveing leg problems so I butchered him and I use a RIR roo now, I don't have any pics of the chicks from them thoough.

For you second question, unless you know the history of the white leghorn hens, there's no way to tell unless you crossed them, but I think most white leghorns are dominant white.

I agree with Krys that it will be better to use rhode island whites. I have some RIW pullets that I will be crossing with a Buff Orp roo to get Gold Sexlinks. I am also going to try SL Wyandotte hens with the buff roo, that will also give sexlinks.

Yes, I agre with all the feedback on the crosses so far and just wanted to add in.

I did the Big red roo cross Black Australorp hen cross two hatch seasons ago and did not come up with a color sexable chick at hatch either. But out of the seven I hatched, they did feather out different at second juvenille molt (about 8 weekish). I ended up with 4 pullets solid black and 3 roos black with a little flecks of red in neck and head, kind of like the same coloring as Black Sex-link pullets. I kept the 4 pullets and one of the roos. The pullets turned out to be pretty fair layers and the roo has a beautiful black body with deep, deep dark red in neck and saddle feathers. Almost like a BBRed or Partridge male color.

Back
Top Bottom