Sex Link Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigBirdHatcher, Nov 13, 2011.

1. BigBirdHatcher

BigBirdHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    I am new to BYC and not really sure on how all of this works yet, there might already be another post with all of the information I am looking for.

Anyways my question is, what do you get when you cross a Barred Rock with a Coockoo Maran ?? and is it a sex link ??
    If anyone has pictures of what they might come out looking like id very much like to see them.

Thanks for your help and input !!
    Cory

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
  4. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    I didnt think it would be a sex link but my dad told me some of them looked different from the rest and I moved resently after setting the eggs and wont be back that way to look at them myself until thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the help.
    I would still like to see pictures of what the grown birds would look like if anyone has any

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking they'll all be barred, kinda, or a muddy cuckoo pattern. Legs will be yellow or white? But basically they'll all look the same, and no, not sex-linked. That's a solid roo over barred hen.

6. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Donrae, what kind of solid rooster would it take ?? And does it only work with barred hens or does it work with the cukoo hens also ??
    And what kind of sex link would it make ??

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:No this will not be a sex link.

This link has all the breed combos to make sexlinks -- red and black -- you should check it out. For a Black Sexlink, you need a barred or cuckoo hen (Barred Rock, Dominique, Barred Holland, or Cuckoo Marans) and any of those males listed on the Black Sexlink chart. I believe as long as the male does not carry the barring gene but the female does, the result will be a Black Sexlink. All the males that hatch from the barred hen and the non-barred rooster will inherit the hen's barring gene, and the females that hatch out will not. They'll be black with gold leakage.

I think your birds will probably just end up being barred -- if some look different might they just be lighter? If they are lighter, then those would be cockerels.

8. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Alright, I must have over looked the link earlier.
    Thanks alot folks !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by