sex link chicks?

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
I bought eggs off ebay that said sex links and so I thought that when they hatched I would be able to tell the sex but they are all yellow with white feathers coming in. I asked the guy I purchased them from and he said both females and males would be white and that I can't tell until they get older if they are pullets or Roos. The pics he showed were of a golden comet and roo looked like a sex link as well. Is it because they are both sex links that they are just something else ???

I bought eggs off ebay that said sex links and so I thought that when they hatched I would be able to tell the sex but they are all yellow with white feathers coming in. I asked the guy I purchased them from and he said both females and males would be white and that I can't tell until they get older if they are pullets or Roos. The pics he showed were of a golden comet and roo looked like a sex link as well. Is it because they are both sex links that they are just something else ???

The guy really mis-represented things, in my opinion. Breeding sex links back to each other is not going to produce sexlinks. Eggs from sexlinks? perhaps, but it sounds as if the eggs were sold as sexlinks. This isn't a good sales practice, as it is confusing to the customer.

Second generation sexlinks are mutts, put bluntly. Often they are fine enough birds and often good layers, but they are no longer sexlinks.
sad.png

Yeah, I agree, the guy didn't know what he was doing or was being dishonest.

Only first generation sex-links will produce according to color. The gold/red sexlink pullets will be a reddish buff, or buff with noticeable reddish head and markings. The cocks will be light yellow or almost white with no reddish coloration whatsoever.

Female true sex-links will come in with reddish feathers that have some minor white markings. Male sex-links will come in with white feathers and some reddish splotches, but very predominately white.

Here's a good link to photos of true sexlink chicks:
http://cacklehatchery.com/goldencometpage.html

Sex-links (hybrids) are produced when you breed something like a Rhode Island white female with a Rhode Island red male, or any number of variations of pure breeds that are used...but generally with one red type and a white type...at any rate a true pure bred with a true pure bred to get a first generation hybrid.

Second generations from hybrid to hybrid just produces mutts that are not sex-linked....the purpose of the word...sex is linked to color. It is not a breed in itself and does not breed true.

Lady of McCamley

Yeah, I agree, the guy didn't know what he was doing or was being dishonest.

Only first generation sex-links will produce according to color. The gold/red sexlink pullets will be a reddish buff, or buff with noticeable reddish head and markings. The cocks will be light yellow or almost white with no reddish coloration whatsoever.

Female true sex-links will come in with reddish feathers that have some minor white markings. Male sex-links will come in with white feathers and some reddish splotches, but very predominately white.

Here's a good link to photos of true sexlink chicks:
http://cacklehatchery.com/goldencometpage.html

Sex-links (hybrids) are produced when you breed something like a Rhode Island white female with a Rhode Island red male, or any number of variations of pure breeds that are used...but generally with one red type and a white type...at any rate a true pure bred with a true pure bred to get a first generation hybrid.

Second generations from hybrid to hybrid just produces mutts that are not sex-linked....the purpose of the word...sex is linked to color. It is not a breed in itself and does not breed true.

Lady of McCamley

Yeah I talked to the guy a few times he kept emailing me to see if I got the eggs and again to see if they were developing. Really nice guy I think he is just inexpericened in this kind of thing....as am I but I'm not breeding or trying to sell eggs. I'm ok with it all I mean when you buy from ebay you just have to expect things like this....I'm just happy they were fertile. Funny they were the best batch of eggs I had. He have me 4 and three hatched the 4th quite early on.

Back
Top Bottom