Sex link Cock or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenPeep, May 7, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I made a topic about this guy about a week ago, but since then, he has changed dramatically! Im hoping that by now, we will be able to tell the gender. Can someone help me figure out the gender? Its a Black Sex Link, and i know that if its a rooster it will have barred markings, but i was wondering if maybe he is a Black Sex Link and Silkie mix, because he has 5 toes. look at his comb and tail feathers, theyre HUGE! i really think its a roo, but can someone please help!?!If you need anymore pics, just ask![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    haha! that one is just for fun![​IMG]

2. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Should be a hen .

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:But he acts SOO much like a rooster![​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    So this is very confusing! If it were a black sexlink roo...it would be barred. Question is, are you sure it's a black sexlink?...I think it's something else and it's a cockerel!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say it was just a cross and not a Sex-link.
    Your bird has a fifth toe, not a common trite for Sex-links and with the 5th toe that would mean that he either has Silkie, Dorking, Faverolle or Sultan in him.

Chris

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:hmm... maybe it isnt a sex link... any suggestions?

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    If it's a sex link cockerel, it should have a white spot on the top of it's head! If it's a pullet, it won't have a white spot.

8. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Looks like a hen to me. Hens typically have red leakage in the neck just like that chick. The chick in the photo has no barring but alot of red-leakage, so it has to be a hen. Roosters would be more similar to the Barred Rock in color but usually have a black base.

The extrs toes are a genetic default in alot of breeds. I raise American Gamefowl and my favorite roo has the same problem as this hen. It is not always an example of mix breeding but an example of geneticly-poor parent stock. Not that the hen will be any less of an egger than a typical Black Sex-Link, however that may be the only differance at all. With Sex-Links that you get from hatcheries, you must inderstand that rather than cull out a RIR or NH rooster with genetic defaults, the hatchery sends him to help produce the Sex-Links. The best quality birds are sold to the public, while the poor quality produce one of the best egg-layers on the market.

I have six Red Sex-Link hens. I love the breed but just so you know, you are not alone. I oredered all of them at the same time and recieved them on the same date. They all appeared to be exactly the same coloration. Then as time went on, three girls were still identical while the other three were completley unique from the others. Then I noticd that one girl had blue legs! I still have her. Apparently the Hachery had a blood line of RIR that produced blue-legs every once and agian. So when they found out they made him a Sex-Link producer, This saves them money by using the rooster instead of desposing of him. He gets to live and breed and spread his bad genes everywhere. I think he is a winner in every way!

Don't worry.....Sex-Links are the best breed I have ever owned. I promise that you will love them!

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:those arent feathers on its feet,theyre extre toes![​IMG]

10. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Quote:those arent feathers on its feet,theyre extre toes![​IMG]

That is what I meant. It took me a minute to realize exactly what you were talking about....lol....i guess I was sidetracked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by