1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex-link combos.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 10 point, Sep 7, 2011.

1. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    what are the best breed combos for red and black sex links. I tried to figure it out from a different post but it was too confusing.

TIA for any help or suggestions.

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
  3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:thats the thread I couldn't figure out I guess my real question is will a RIR rooster of delaware hen work well for a red sexlink cross. and any suggestions for a black sexlink would be appreciated.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, it will work, but technically you'll get black sex-links too. [​IMG] Delawares have barring, the hen is barred, thus, the males will turn out both gold/silver AND barred, which, actually makes it harder for you to sex, but, you'll know the males are grayer than the females at birth. [​IMG]

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:TY very much people around hear are always asking for chicks and I want to supply them with a good solid set of layers. at least to start out with. [​IMG]

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A RIR rooster over barred rock will give you a good black sex link. Male chicks will have the white dot on head.
    A RIR rosster over white rock makes a good red sex link. Males will be white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by